Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin , please keep all your "negative comments" to yourself... ;)

I'm getting my car ready for 35-55 shot of Nitrous (ZEX dry kit) . I will NOT go with wet kit for many obvious reasons.

Now I have two questions...

Inject the Nitrous before or after MAF sensor?

I read that always before so MAF can read the "cooler" air and give more fuel but some people say that I should put it after. So which one is best for Vulcan of course?

Second question is, will these spark plugs work just fine with nitrous?

Autolite 104 - Copper Core , can't find 103's in my area and I'm not sure if there is any significant difference between those two? :dunno:
I'm pretty sure they are colder than my stock (pretty new) Platinum Motorcraft ones.

At first, I will probably run no more than 35 shot until I upgrade my injectors and tune that mofo.

Other than nitrous itself I will have bunch of many different upgrades to fuel system and as well as performance (rockers, y pipe, tune).
I'm shooting for 200 rwhp after everything is done (hopefully by the end of this year) I have about $2000 to spend. :noes:

The biggest worry I have right now is a tranny. I'm pretty sure that 200 fwhp is the maximum it can take without TOO much abuse :x: and it will only get that much power when I spray.

I will update this page as everything gets done.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (spridget @ May 29 2010, 02:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807578
Autolite 104s are one step colder.

I see ,thanks B)

Automatic transmission drivetrain loss is generally considered to be around 20%. 200fwhp would be about 240hp at the crank.[/b]

Yup, you're right. It's late and I'm not thinking straight. For that 240 HP, I will defiantly need more than 50 shot and it looks like I will spend some nice lump of cash on those damn fuel injectors and a tune. Now, I did a little bit research but I found nothing... some one said that Mustang injectors will fit and work with appropriate tune but which ones? Aftermarket ones or just stock V6 Mustang injectors?

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (OmMEGGA @ May 29 2010, 02:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807587
QUOTE (spridget @ May 29 2010, 02:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807578
Autolite 104s are one step colder.

I see ,thanks B)

Automatic transmission drivetrain loss is generally considered to be around 20%. 200fwhp would be about 240hp at the crank.[/b]

Yup, you're right. It's late and I'm not thinking straight. For that 240 HP, I will defiantly need more than 50 shot and it looks like I will spend some nice lump of cash on those damn fuel injectors and a tune. Now, I did a little bit research but I found nothing... some one said that Mustang injectors will fit and work with appropriate tune but which ones? Aftermarket ones or just stock V6 Mustang injectors?
[/b][/quote]

Both. As long as they look the same as the ones you take out, you can get any size you want. 24# is usually enough for 200+ hp.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I dont think you want your MAFS to get hit with a spray of NOS. I dont know much about NOS other than Dry kits can lean out your engine radically and blow it the hell up. The Pooling problem is common and the only way around it is by Direct Porting. I've been told stay the hell away from dry kits for that reason.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 29 2010, 08:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807615
I dont think you want your MAFS to get hit with a spray of NOS. I dont know much about NOS other than Dry kits can lean out your engine radically and blow it the hell up. The Pooling problem is common and the only way around it is by Direct Porting. I've been told stay the hell away from dry kits for that reason.[/b]
+1

Wet kits throw the fuel in there, too, so you don't need to worry about your fuel injectors and whatnot. Go wet.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Is your tranny in good shape?

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You'll need do some headwork, along with the injectors and tuning, if you want close to 200whp on a 55 shot. Better look into pistons, too, if you go to a larger shot.

An older member on here had ported heads/manifolds, forged pistons, valve springs, injectors, 55 shot, and a crappy tune, and he made 201 at the wheels. 161 off the gas.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ May 29 2010, 01:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807664
An older member on here had ported heads/manifolds, forged pistons, valve springs, injectors, 55 shot, and a crappy tune, and he made 201 at the wheels. 161 off the gas.[/b]
That is really promising then.

As far as my tranny goes, it shifts really good and was replaced few months ago. And yeah, sorry guys, I meant fwhp.
rwhp is thrown around so much that I automatically wrote it down.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Eric1987 @ May 29 2010, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807677
How is it going to be a SHO killer? With only 200fwhp that doesnt sound like it would kill an SHO but just beat it.[/b]
Killer or beater, it will still dust any stock SHO. I'm not really concerned about what cars I'm going to smoke but the reliability. Remember that this Vulcan is going to be my daily driver so I need to make sure everything is working at its best... in another words, I have no room for errors.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (OmMEGGA @ May 29 2010, 03:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807694
How is it going to be a SHO killer? With only 200fwhp that doesnt sound like it would kill an SHO but just beat it.[/b]
Killer or beater, it will still dust any stock SHO. I'm not really concerned about what cars I'm going to smoke but the reliability. Remember that this Vulcan is going to be my daily driver so I need to make sure everything is working at its best... in another words, I have no room for errors.
[/b][/quote]

Then dont do NOS.....

Let me elaborate.

NOS when installed correctly, and when handled correctly, can be a reliable power booster.

However, even if installed correctly, NOS can still cause problems on a un-built engine.

I would stay away from NOS. Especially a dry kit. It seems the only real solution to our vehicles for NOS is to Direct Port it through the manifold.

I say this because Wet systems have a habit of pooling in the vulcan's intake manifold. Your solution is to run a dry kit....well you can blow your motor up that way too. Even if your running a small shot like 55 or whatnot. Leaning out is common on dry kits, and spraying the MAFS with it does nothing more than foul your MAFS. The MAFS cannot correct the fuel ratio due to an outside fuel source.

Its not just that. Your stock injectors are limited. If you put a 55 shot of nos in, even at 100%DC (I say this based off the STS vulcan that had problems producing enough fuel) they are not going to produce enough fuel to counter the leaning out done by the NOS, thereby causing destructive detonation that the engine will not be able to handle. (despite it being a vulcan)

It seems for your project you're going to have to figure out a way around it...

Many things that should be simple, are often complicated and expensive on these cars.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 29 2010, 10:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807768
[/b][/quote]

Then dont do NOS.....

Let me elaborate.

NOS when installed correctly, and when handled correctly, can be a reliable power booster.

However, even if installed correctly, NOS can still cause problems on a un-built engine.

I would stay away from NOS. Especially a dry kit. It seems the only real solution to our vehicles for NOS is to Direct Port it through the manifold.

I say this because Wet systems have a habit of pooling in the vulcan's intake manifold. Your solution is to run a dry kit....well you can blow your motor up that way too. Even if your running a small shot like 55 or whatnot. Leaning out is common on dry kits, and spraying the MAFS with it does nothing more than foul your MAFS. The MAFS cannot correct the fuel ratio due to an outside fuel source.

Its not just that. Your stock injectors are limited. If you put a 55 shot of nos in, even at 100%DC (I say this based off the STS vulcan that had problems producing enough fuel) they are not going to produce enough fuel to counter the leaning out done by the NOS, thereby causing destructive detonation that the engine will not be able to handle. (despite it being a vulcan)

Many things that should be simple, are often complicated and expensive on these cars.
[/b][/quote]

Thank you for your input.

I already ordered ZEX dry system and got my self copper spark plugs. Next thing is to hunt for bigger injectors and a good tune. On top of it all ,I will try to build a solid intake system with metal tubing for the nozzle. I'm very confident that this will turn just fine. I'm not planing to spray every single time I get in to my car. I will save that for track and car meets only and occasionally when I need to show a ricer who is the boss :ford:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I cant remember if MegaSquirt will work on our cars... lets hope someone who does know pops in.. meanwhile I'll try to dig up what I can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 1 2010, 06:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808327
I cant remember if MegaSquirt will work on our cars... lets hope someone who does know pops in.. meanwhile I'll try to dig up what I can.[/b]
there is a MS2 setup for the 2.5 Duratec 6's ... should be the same... Slight adjustments obviously.
We have Crank angle sensor
We have EDIS with paired banks
We have TPS
We have MASS Air Flow based on platinum thermal resistance reaction
We have externally activated EGR (Vacuum from a controller, not from Manifold)

Sounds like a winner.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
QUOTE (brokie @ Jun 1 2010, 06:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808331
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 1 2010, 06:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808327
I cant remember if MegaSquirt will work on our cars... lets hope someone who does know pops in.. meanwhile I'll try to dig up what I can.[/b]
there is a MS2 setup for the 2.5 Duratec 6's ... should be the same... Slight adjustments obviously.
We have Crank angle sensor
We have EDIS with paired banks
We have TPS
We have MASS Air Flow based on platinum thermal resistance reaction
We have externally activated EGR (Vacuum from a controller, not from Manifold)

Sounds like a winner.
[/b][/quote]
What about shifting the automatic transmission that the EEC-V currently controls?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 29 2010, 09:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807768
[/b][/quote]

Then dont do NOS.....

Let me elaborate.

[/b][/quote]

You might want to let the SHO owners running 100 shot know and doing fine.

The SCT should allow for the needed tuning with larger injectors.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts