Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I replaced the EGR valve, MAF, TB, AND put fuel cleaner in the tank, and I'm STILL HAVING A PROBLEM!!!! So what I did, I brought along my HD camera in the hopes that the SHO would crap out again, and sure enough, it did. I'm uploading the video at the moment and will post the link when it's done. I'll go ahead and list some symptoms though so you all can maybe get an idea of what it may be.

-Car dies suddenly without warning.
-Dies immediately upon trying to restart
-Started and immediately given full throttle, the car will sputter roughly around 2K RPMs.
-If the throttle is backed down to about half throttle, the RPMs will shoot up with almost no trouble and bounce off the rev limiter.
-If I let off the throttle completely, the car will die.
-Disconnecting the battery solves the problem for the time being.

I'm assuming it's running rich, because that's what it was doing before the new MAF. It's not giving me any codes to this end though, so I have no clue. It's gotta be something electrical though, beacuse after I disconnect the battery the car runs fine again until the next incident.

Somebody please help me, I have to make a trip to Jersey this weekend!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i would have said check the cranks position sensor maybe the signal to ecm, but after it restarts when you disconnect the battery i would doubt it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So yeah, me & my mom managed to drive all the way out to Jersey and back to Kentucky without any serious problems, but we died on the side of the road too many times to count. It's really starting to annoy me, and we pretty much rebuilt the whole car with new parts (not really, but it feels like it!).

Another symptom I forgot to add - It will bog at low RPMs under considerable throttle input. And it's gotta be something that's attached to the new engine, because before the original blew up I didn't have this problem!

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
If the TPS checks out ok, re-arrange your front coils. Put number 8 to number 5 and rearrange the rest in any order. Sounds dumb, yes, trust me. I had a very simialr situation en route to Carlisle 2 years ago, this was the fix.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If the TPS checks out ok, re-arrange your front coils. Put number 8 to number 5 and rearrange the rest in any order. Sounds dumb, yes, trust me. I had a very simialr situation en route to Carlisle 2 years ago, this was the fix.
[/b]
yea my car never actually died with my problem but it did stutter alot and bogged down on full throttle, not nearly as bad as yours but my whole problem was a bad spark plug wire....just one...

·
Registered
388 Posts
That'll do it.

See.. that's why this tie is so good to have.
We are over analyzing this and skipping the basics LOL!
There are so many on this site that you can trust some one will state the obvious that's eluding the rest of us LOL !
Check those plugs and wires 1st.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
That'll do it.

See.. that's why this tie is so good to have.
We are over analyzing this and skipping the basics LOL!
There are so many on this site that you can trust some one will state the obvious that's eluding the rest of us LOL !
Check those plugs and wires 1st.
[/b]
Only one problem...the V8 SHO doesn't have plug wires. It's COP. :thumb:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I just pulled the intake and replaced all 8 spark plugs with Autolite XP's, as well as inspected the rear coils. They look almost new (and probably are relatively new, they're black top Motorcrafts). I wouldn't have thought to simply rearrange the front coils, but I'll try that, but I have another problem now... I was on the way to Auto Zone to pick up a new CKP, and the car started smoking. I made it home, pulled into the garage, then noticed a LONG line of liquid on the ground behind me. Tranny fluid.

So, it's been sitting for awhile as I tried to get that damn CKP bolt out (it was a BITCH), cleaned my intake, and replaced the plugs, until I filled it up with some ATF and found no leaks. Started it and ran it around the block, shifted like ****, so I took it back home, and noticed more ATF on the ground behind me. The weird thing is that I just installed a tranny cooler, but the leak isn't coming from any of the lines going in/out of the cooler. It looks like I'll have to dump as much fluid as I can and drive it up the street to Mr. Transmission and have them find my leak. Any ideas on how much they would charge for that?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to mention, the leak only happens when the car is running, at it would appear to be coming from directly above the front driver side subframe bolt.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Did you undo either of the two hose connections at the transmission? If you did, and reattached them without putting a thread sealant on the threads...it'll seep right from there. I did this while installing my cooler. The car would only drip when running...cuz the fluid would heat up which made it easier to seep out. I eventually was able to see it happening when I removed the drivers side wheel well plastic. It gave me a real good view of the hose connections.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Could be a rusted through tranny line. Easy to fix with 3/8" rubber hose and 1/4" mNPT x 3/8" brass hose barbs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts