Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 95 sho and was wondering if the butterflies on the intake runners were the same as the vris system in earlier fords and if it can be removed and if there is a benefit to doing so. also has anyone seen any kind of improvement from porting/polishing the intake as its so large im questioning the point

·
Registered
233 Posts
Other members will chime in with more accurate information. I have a '97 with the V8 SHO motor, and I took out the IMRC butterflies with no ill effect. While doing research on it, I found out the V8 is relatively unaffected at idle, but the V6's tend to run poorly without them. I believe porting does wonders, but I can't back that up with my own experience. SHOsource sells a big bore butterfly kit that'll open up some restriction along with ported manifolds. SHO Source Big Bore Butterfly Kit

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Removing the butterflies causes the SHO to loose all low end power. It makes it much slower. The SHO intake is designed to take full advantage of them. Our butterflies to help to get more power on the top end.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I had my intake extrude honed and installed big bore butterflies. They gave me a bump in power all across the rpm band and extended the torque curve at the very upper rpm. If you remove the butterflies you will loose all low rpm torque and make the car slow to accelerate like Matt said.

I have an old SHO Shop guide log that details the power gains on popular accessories. I thought I would post them again. The dyno used is a DynoJet model 248C. Its my understanding that this is the best dyno to use because you can achieve repeatable results. The car used is a '89 SHO with 111K miles. A 60K was done on the engine with a leak down test to make sure the engine was in good condition. They ran the engine stock for a baseline then ran the car again after each power mod. Here are the numbers...

Stock HP [email protected]
Stock TQ [email protected]

Added 80mm MAF w/LPM and cone filter
HP [email protected]
TQ [email protected]

Added UD pulleys
HP [email protected]
TQ [email protected]

Added (original style non-equal length) Y-pipe
HP [email protected]
TQ [email protected]

Added Cat-back
HP [email protected]
TQ [email protected]

Added Extrude Honed intake and BBB
HP [email protected]
TQ [email protected]

My dynosheet will all but the cat-back listed above.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts