Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to change idler pulleys and when i removed the one i held it up against the new ones and the new ones were smaller by half an inch would that hurt my engine or not cause when i went to ford they said the 3 inch is the only one they can order for my car what do i do ? plz help someone

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You have not only size but offset to worry about. If the pulley wont align properly then it will wear out the belt quickly. It also needs to match the shaft size as well.

If EVERY aspect other then overall OD is the same then it should work but the stock belt may or may not work. Also it will impact the wrap angle which is how much wrap the belt has. If it is too little then the belt will slip. .5" shouldn't be that big of a deal but things to consider.

Also you may need to find out what application the pulley is for. If it is designed for a low revving diesel and now you are putting it on a high revving V8 it may fail early.

We do carry the right pulley: V8 Idler Bearing 96-99
It is correct, it will fit and it will be right. You wont have to worry about if it fits.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There are two reasons why I didn't include Taurus specifics in this writeup

1) It's meant to be general
2) I don't have a Taurus anymore, so I can't offer that much help
3)
DMX and Malvin are the two who have done this so far, and there's another guy somewhere on the web who SC'd his '88 3.8L succesfully and put everything into a webpage. I can't find it at the moment, but just know, it can be done if you work hard at it. As I said, ask the right people, and they'll tell you what you need. :wub:
...what!?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts