Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys im planning on swapping out the daulies on a 96 SHO to my 96 GL, and am wondering what exactly am i gonna need to order. my friend works in the parts department @ ford so i dont gotta worry about the read tape. thx - Lucky

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
The SHO's mufflers are the same. If you want more power, you'll need a custom cat-back exhaust.

·
Registered
230 Posts
well, not exactly...
it is slightly more productive. think of a 3 lane highway with a toll plaza having 3 booth, traffic would get pretty backed up. now if you take that 3 lane road and split it at the end into 2 roads with 3 toll booths each, the traffic moves faster.
now for a little algebra, substitite in exhaust pipe for road, exhaust gas for cars, and the toll booths are your muffler
get it???
i guess flowmasters are like ez-pass then

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
That has nothing to do with exhaust gas velocity. An exhaust system is only going to be as strong as its weakest link, splitting it into two larger pipes at the end is not going to force any more air through the center pipe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so should i just get a custom daulies w/ flows then and save the money from buying SHO exhaust parts?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
That would be my suggestion...take it to a muffler shop that does custom performance exhaust and talk to them, they'll be able to make suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you will get a little more backpressure from having duals (so ive been told)

as for looks, it would be hot. It is a direct bolt on. all you need its two exaust hangers...holes should already be there and one weld....done!

Brad

·
Registered
176 Posts
actually he should only need 1 hanger...cause my gen 3 LX came with a stock duali set up from ford, and I only have 3 hangers.. It should have holes already set up as well....I know this cause I just changed my exhaust hangers 2 nights ago after the sun went down...you will need a 10 mil rachet, and I would suggest getting a wrench with a rachet set up like gear wrench or something..It will make you life much easier in the long run...

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have to agree with twilight. The third Cat and stock resonator are going to be the restrictive part of the exhaust system (aside from the headers, but that's another story). I would go with a custom setup, rather than waste time on the SHO exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts