Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the junkyard today and to my great joy i discovered an early to mid nineties SHO...such a cool car
... severely banged up though...anyway I pulled out the whole instrument cluster. I was reading in an earlier post that you cant just put a new speedo in without recalibrating the cable (or something). I want to put the gauges in my 95 GL but it has no tachometer and the speedo only goes up to 85mph. If i plug everything in will the tach work? Will the speedo be accurate? What would it take to make this work? I have read at least one post in the sale forum promising that the gl and sho clusters were interchangeable. Please help me out guys i cant wait to get that new gauge in so i can start going 140 mph...

brian

A

·
0 Posts
I gave you the links in the chat room, but if you have any more questions let me know. Should be a fairly easy install. Shouldn't take you more than half an hour with those instructions. Good luck.

I

·
0 Posts
It's fairly easy to do, and no recalibration is neccessary unless you remove one of the needles (such as for fixing the odometer reading). Here's the proof in my '95 GL:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
there are 2 different types of speedos in the sho clusters.
the type i got off an ebay auction didn't have the little white gears to remove, (to adjust the milage)
so i had to remove the metal u-shaped bracket were the cable attaches and spin the gear. licky the milage was only 4k off so it didn't take that long to sping hte milage, (about the same time as Orange county choppers)

oh when you install the speed you have to swap the gear indicator from yours to the sho cluster. "low coolent" light can't be used
unless you add the floor shifter.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I thought the Low Coolant light was in the upper left hand corner near the tach. Or is that low wiper fluid?

I

·
0 Posts
Wiper Fluid and Bulb Out are in the corners. Low Coolant and O/D Off are in the speedo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts