Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really planning on this, more or less just curious.
How hard would it be to replace the Vulcan in my 91 w/ a SHO V6? And if it is possible how much would it cost to have it proffesionally done?

Thanks in advance.

-Preston, the n00b

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
More than it would cost to buy a 91 SHO :D

Seriously, unless your current Taurus has some extreme sentimental value or is for some other reason unique, sell it and buy an SHO, if what you want is an SHO.

If you came across the SHO motor cheap and were willing to do the swap yourself, maybe, but professional labor costs would eat you up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be wonderful to have a SHO engine in a normal Taurus, or a new 2000+ Taurus. It's just this dream I have *stares into sky*

But seriously, Im guessing it is possible just really pricy?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by CobaltBlue91GL@Jun 21 2004, 09:17 PM
I think it would be wonderful to have a SHO engine in a normal Taurus, or a new 2000+ Taurus. It's just this dream I have *stares into sky*

But seriously, Im guessing it is possible just really pricy?
Welcome to my dream. ;-)

But yeah, it's possible. If this is a project car of yours, and you want to play, and can get the SHO motor for cheap, there's people around here to help you with swapping those. Also, the internet has a lot of info. (While this is a Taurus....for the most part, an engine is an engine ;D) But otherwise, yeah, the price will most likely outweigh the benefits (if any?).

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Normally I wouldn't say "do a search"... but in this case.... :grin2:

Seriously, that's one of the most common questions asked. However, you said you're a noob, so I won't grill ya.

Yes it can be done. Yes, if you have a parts yard with cheap parts, it can be done cheaply. If you can't change your own plugs, I would recommend buying the SHO simply to avoid the frustration taht would come with working with junkyard pieces.

On the other hand, many people have done it with great results. However, the V6 into a 96+ car hasn't been done (so far as I know).

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Sorry, if I sounded too negative. It is a very common question and I usually don't even answer, because it has been answered so many times. In this case, we're talking about swapping into a 91 body, so it's bound to work, but why not just get the whole SHO.

I looked at online yard listings and the prices vary a bit on SHO engines. The original question was about having it professionally done, so I'm going to assume you want an engine on the good end of the spectrum. Let's call that $800. I would suspect paying someone to do the engine swap would conservatively be $1500. At around $2500 we're definitely in range of getting the whole SHO. We're closer yet of we sell the 91 Vulcan instead of modifying it.

If you want to do it, just to do it, that's great, but I think it would make more sense to change cars in this case.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
this might sceem odd but the sho is based on the vulcan engine. so... couldn't you just swap the engines and not mess with the wiring. a chip can be used to adjust the parameters.

ohh the dis would be kind be a problem.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Jun 22 2004, 09:10 PM
this might sceem odd but the sho is based on the vulcan engine. so... couldn't you just swap the engines and not mess with the wiring. a chip can be used to adjust the parameters.

ohh the dis would be kind be a problem.
The only thing common with the SHO engine and the Vulcan engine is the displacement. It was a total redesign by Yamaha. So no you couldn't simply swap the engines without swapping the ECU's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts