Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a re-post from SHOforum's Lone Star SHO club section. We had the spring run earlier today, and things did not go so well... this is a copy of what I posted.

"I know I'm writing this before most of the SHO guys get back, but for those who didn't make it to the Austin run, let me tell you what happened. This is a day we won't forget for a long time.

The day started out as any other Austin day recently; cloudy, balmy. The plan was to meet put at the Oasis, a beautiuful restaurant with a view of Lake Travis. A few early birds (And ones who thought the cruise was 9:30) arrived around 9:20, while some got there more around 10:30.

After getting pictures taken of the cars, we all set out on our route.

I was fairly far in the back. I figured a Vulcan better stick behind the pack. As we were coming on Lime Creek Pkwy, I froze. This road was dangerous. I live around here (Northwest Austin, Arboretum) and I know how dangerous these roads are. I followed with a bit of trepidation, nervous of my Gen IV's ability.

As I approach the first big bend to the right, I sped around it, following the quick pace of the cars. As I rounded the turn, I noticed all the cars were at a stand-still, and I panic stopped. Damn drum brakes...

I didn't actually SEE the car at first. The first thing I heard was the horn. Oh, that horn...one of the most aggravting sounds ever. This steady fairly high-pitched droning noise. I had thought that maybe somebody's horn froze up, and everybody stopped to fix it. Before then, I could barely see the wrecked SHO since it was hidden by the brush.

I walked up to see what was going on, and I saw the car on its side at the bottom of a sharp drop-off on the side of the road. Again, not wanting to jump to conclusions, I figured it was an old abandoned car. As I approached the scene, however, I saw the back portion in the air, and I saw that unmistakable Mist Rose color.

Apparently Damian went off the right side of the road, over-corrected when his back end became wiggly, and he slid across the road, and went off the road. The car then flipped on its side since the drop-off was so steep.

Words cannot describe what it looked like. A beautiful 3rd Gen SHO (I had been talking about purchasing perhaps) dead on the side of the road, and its owner(s) inside. Damian climbed up out of the sunroof and escaped with what looked like just bad cuts and bruises. There was blood around his head, but nothing life-threatening. Thank goodness he was ok!

His wife on the other hand was pinned by the ground since the car nows stands up on its passenger side. I did not stay long enough to find out how they got her out. She was consicious and NOT in shock, so we can all be thankful of that. Star Flight (Helicopter rescue in Austin) was called in, and by this time, over 5 fire trucks and 6 police had the road blocked off.

Keep them in your prayes you guys. If you aren't religious, just please remember them. But I think we can all agree on one thing...

Thank goodness he was in a Taurus! "

It was such a beautiful SHO also. I still haven't heard about his wife's condition either.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Apr 18 2004, 07:52 AM
Oh damn.. that's gotta suck
Was anyone really seriously hurt?
Just Damian's wife. But I just heard earlier today that she is recovering just fine. No broken bones at all. There is nothing like a Taurus for safety.

G

·
Wow, very sad to hear that! Obviously the most important thing was that nobody was hurt.
Glad to hear everyone will be alright. Too bad the SHO had to go though.

Like you said... we can just be happy they were in a Taurus!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Lime Creek is NO JOKE... that road is crazy dangerous. I used to ride (race) my sportbike down it all the time. I had two wrecks myself and my buddy totaled the bike on Lime Creek. I've come closer to death on that road than anywhere else (FM 2222 is a close second). Any one that lives in Austin will know what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't live in TX, so I have no idea what Lime Creek is, but I hope that everyone is alright, and thats really too bad about a SHO getting destroyed...its getting to the point where I feel the same about SHOs being killed as I do about classic Mustangs being destroyed, gutted, and "pimped..."

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
This is a map of Lime Creek as is runs next to the lake. Of course, this map does not give a good idea of the real picture. Lime Creek Rd is a narrow, 2 lane black top with MANY blind, sharp curves. There is no shoulder and often gravel is on the surface (dangerous for bikes). Most of the turns have "sharp curve" signs ranging from 5mph to 15mph. I can take them at 35-50mph on my bike, but I have wrecked twice trying. Large trucks often use Lime Creek. There is a limestone quarry on the north end of the road.

So many memories.... (and soiled shorts
)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts