Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting an SHO cluster from a friend of a friend who is parting out his 1993 SHO. I believe it has around 90k miles on the odometer, is there any easy way to roll it back to match my cars mileage? I'd like to have the glow gauges installed too, but I think there's a write up somewhere for that. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I'm considering getting an SHO cluster from a friend of a friend who is parting out his 1993 SHO. I believe it has around 90k miles on the odometer, is there any easy way to roll it back to match my cars mileage? I'd like to have the glow gauges installed too, but I think there's a write up somewhere for that. Thanks!
[/b]
My slo had the slo cluster which I switched out for a sho cluster. I assume you are talking about the sho cluster w/tac? If you are, no problem. I opened up my slo cluster took the speedo and put it in the sho cluster. Very simple to do.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but I'd rather keep the SHO 140mph speedometer because I really want the white-face glo gauges.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
You can click each wheel forward or backward to match yours.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, cause I feel like if I do that, I'll break something with the odometer. I would just keep the speedometer from mine if I could find the white reverse glow gauges for an 85mph speedometer.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I just did it to one a couple weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Ok, cause I feel like if I do that, I'll break something with the odometer. I would just keep the speedometer from mine if I could find the white reverse glow gauges for an 85mph speedometer.
[/b]
thats how i have it, my SLO speedo, and SHO everything else.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Man, I feel like a dumbass. I have a 140MPH sho cluster sitting here and I dropped in another slo cluster with tac. I don't think my ride could go 140, but I think I'll do the swap and just move the numbers by hand to match my mileage. Like you, I could go GLO at a later date if I wanted to. I take it speedo cable does not need to be changed?

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
On second thought, I'm not sure if you can force the dials backwards or not. I thought I remember doing it on mine but I'm not really sure anymore.

Better off just clicking it forward and going back around. All the dials can be clicked forward on the Gen II million-mile unit.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
That writeup is for the old-style odometer. Gen II SHOs and police cars came with the million mile odometer:

I'd been meaning to do a writeup on it but never got around to it.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
But they can still be turned?

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Yes. No need to take any pins out or anything like that, just remove the face and click the dials forward. They move pretty easily.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I remember having to remove 2 worm gears (one vertical and one horizontal) which were directly behind the odometer, before I could click the numbers to match my speedo

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, another quick question. I'd rather just buy these 2nd gen Mercury Sable glow gauges for my car, but will they work on the SHO cluster considering that I keep my 85mph speedometer and odometer? It'd be a lot easier to just keep my speedo and I don't drive much over 75mph anyway. Basically, are the Mercury Sable and Taurus SHO cluster's w/ the tach the same (again, minus the speedometer change)?

Edit: What I'm buying Ebay Link

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ok, another quick question. I'd rather just buy these 2nd gen Mercury Sable glow gauges for my car, but will they work on the SHO cluster considering that I keep my 85mph speedometer and odometer? It'd be a lot easier to just keep my speedo and I don't drive much over 75mph anyway. Basically, are the Mercury Sable and Taurus SHO cluster's w/ the tach the same (again, minus the speedometer change)?

Edit: What I'm buying Ebay Link
[/b]

The tachometer on the SHOs versus the SLOs are different, the Shos are 8K where the Slos are at 7k iirc. you need to find a sable/Taurus LX/SE cluster

·
Registered
205 Posts
When i did my SLO/SHO gauge conversion, i just noted the millage difference in my owners manual. that way at whatever mile im at i can look back to the notation and do some quick math to determine the current millage.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Stocker, you were right, I just clicked them forward till the sho cluster matched my mileage.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Are the g2 clusters not the same as the g3 and 4? When I replaced my cluster with a g4 cluster, I simply unscrewed my odometer off of my original cluster and placed it back on to the g4. Works just fine and I never needed to "roll" anything back.

I know at least the g1 SHO's cluster is cable driven, would that have anything to do with the odometer reading?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts