Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Taurus GL, and I really dislike the 85MPH limit, as well as the lack of a Tachometer (my 93 Sable had one, and It was quite useful)

So, Im looking at picking up a Gen2 SHO Cluster, and I was wondering how difficult it will be to convert this over, espeically with the Tach.

Is this just basically a Plug-and-Play install? (same harness, no modifications), or will I need to adjust some wiring to get this all to play nice together?

Another thing I am looking to do is get Indiglo gauges, which seem to not exist for the Gen 2 stock cluster panel, so I hope to have more luck with the SHO on that one too. If anyone has some experience with these, Im looking for some suggestions on that too.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The wiring is all the same. I bought some white gauge faces for my cluster, and they were relatively easy to put on. I bought mine from NR, but they aren't indiglo. I can't remember the names of any indiglo companies right now.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Not to be a prick or anything, but SEARCH first. I typed "SHO cluster" and had like eleventy billion matches.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not being a prick either, but just say yes or no. I'm sure its alot easier to say its hard or not than typing 'go search SHO cluster..etc'

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
SIMMAH DON NAW!

fer shizzle. yes it'd be quicker to do a simple yes/no, but people need to be aware of the search feature to keep this person from posting without searching in the future.

blue, that's not even a real number :D

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Search only looks for posts from the last 30 days and newer unless you specify to look for older topics. But I digress.

There is no wiring for the speedometer. It's actuated by the speedometer cable going from the tranny/VSS to the speedo head.

All guages from any 1990-1995 Taurus/SHO/Sable is interchangable. I have a 1990 Taurus police speedometer in my Sable cluster. The other guages uses the same wiring harness and it will work with the tach, temp, and fuel gauges. If your cluster didn't come with a tach before, the SHO tach will work w/o modifications.

The hardest part is taking the dash apart and that's not even a very challenging task if you know how to use a screwdriver and organize the screws. The clusters are plug-and-play.

If you take the needle off to adjust the mileage, take off the peg at 0 MPH and mark where the needle falls to. When you put the needle back on, make sure it points to that mark and then put the needle back up and put the peg back in. This will save you headaches later.

For the indiglo guages, there's several of them availabe for the SHO on eBay, IIRC.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also, you might want to try the archives too. There's a lot of forgotten knowledge over there.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Easy now. People should stop taking the internet so seriously.

yes it'd be quicker to do a simple yes/no, but people need to be aware of the search feature to keep this person from posting without searching in the future.
:withstupid:

Actually, I was helping you. This topic's been covered so many times that if I just said "yes" I'd be helping you far less.

This is just the current forum :???:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
When I changed to a tach cluster in my 91 L wagon I swapped the speedo from my original cluster into the tach cluster to preserve the odometer reading. Otherwise the whole deal was plug-and-play. Very pleasing.

I still have the original non-tach cluster if anyone is interested......

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue, sorry about my response, I wasnt in the best of moods that day, and I had already done a search and came up with nothing useful, only to be told to do a search again...

I keep forgetting that the IPB's search engine defaults to only 30 days (which I think is utterly useless)

But, I digress... and appologize to you TrueBlue.

For those interested, I didnt even end up getting my hands on that SHO cluster (I completely spaced on the ebay auction end), but I did end up getting one from a 93 Mercury Sable , which although still has the 85mph limit (which I dont intend to cross often), it does have a Tach, and does have reverse indiglo gauges available.

For only $10 for the cluster and $10 for shipping, I couldnt go wrong.. Now to pick up the Glow Gauge kit, and Ill be in business.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Just remember that if you swap out the cluster and don't get the mileage certified, you might have trouble with the title when you go to sell the car. Call your state dept. of motor vehicles to find out what you must do to get the mileage on the odometer certified.

JR

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by ultatryon@Oct 13 2004, 03:47 PM
But, I digress... and appologize to you TrueBlue.

Takes a big man to own up. S'all good dude. :thumb: Take lots of pictures while you do the conversion, always cool when you step back and check it out. :biggergrin:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 13 2004, 03:18 PM
Just remember that if you swap out the cluster and don't get the mileage certified, you might have trouble with the title when you go to sell the car. Call your state dept. of motor vehicles to find out what you must do to get the mileage on the odometer certified.

JR
I am not overly concerned by that, as I intend to drive the car into the dirt, and while I have it open, I plan on resetting the mileage on the new cluster to reflect the current mileage, since I have to crack it open to put the glow gauges in anyways.

I have a bunch of other small mods that I am in the process of working on, mostly electrical stuff for my convienence, such as killing the headlights when the car is turned off, and bridging the high and low beams, so that low is just low, and high beams are high and low (I did it back on my old 93 sable)

I think my next purchase is some Crystaline headlamps from a 95 SE/LX.. as these headlights really suck ;)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Nice, but IIRC, you can melt the harness or headlight housing if you have both low and high beam filaments on for an excessive amount of time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Plan on adding in a SHO cluster and putting the HVAC controls below the radio and fill in the top spot with Volt, Water temp and oil pressure gauge. Not sure if its been done, but just had it pop into my head the other day while driving to work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i've seen it done with gauges below the radio, but if you move the hvac controls down there, you'll have to worry about the vacuum tubes reaching and puting trim around the controls,

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Oct 14 2004, 06:54 PM
Nice, but IIRC, you can melt the harness or headlight housing if you have both low and high beam filaments on for an excessive amount of time.
My sable didnt have much of an issue with it, however, my Relay didnt work on the Taurus for some reason :huh:.. It looks like I may need to put two relays in <_<, one for each bulb, which makes little to no sense. :rolleyes:

I dont know if I will even need it, My Xenon lights were just shipped out, and I installed my driving lamps today :lol2: Ill try them out tonight when its dark, and see what kind of improvement (if any) I get from them.

Another thing Im planning on doing is cleaning the headlamp assembly from the inside out :ph34r: . My drivers side headlamp seems to have quite a bit of dirt on the inside of the glass. But If I am buying Crystaline B) assemblies soon, it may not even matter. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by unc25@Oct 15 2004, 12:38 PM
Plan on adding in a SHO cluster and putting the HVAC controls below the radio and fill in the top spot with Volt, Water temp and oil pressure gauge.  Not sure if its been done, but just had it pop into my head the other day while driving to work.
Cool idea. SHO_2NV swapped the radio and HVAC locations (see pic below) on his G2 SHO so you might wanna ask him how to do it. But then again, that's the EATC system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i got my indiglo's for my SHO off e-bay for like 35 bucks shipped....just look on there you'll find them

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I dont think the vaccum tubes and stuff like that are a big deal I plan on legnthening all the wires and connectors in order for it to reach down below the radio, and trim around the HVAC shouldnt be a big deal just get an old radio trim and put it in.

Havent had much time to gather my parts for the project but it shouldnt be too long before this is complete.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts