Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the cat back dual exhaust from a 96-99 SHO, or from the same year LX as I've seen some have the dual exhaust but I may be mistaken. I'm very anxious to ugrade from my GL's. Anyway I am located in the 55105, would like to pick up because I can't imagine what shipping would be on something that big.
Thanks!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The SHO dual exhaust and the Duratec dual exhaust are 2 completely different animals, different pipe diameters, muffler sizes and locations. Neither one will directly bolt up to a Vulcan, if that's what you're driving.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
What I did to my 97 GL was to buy a new rear "Y" pipe from a Duratec, 2 Turbo Mufflers and 2 SHO exhaust tips. I removed the passenger side muffler hanger from a donor car. The exhaust shop cut the old exhaust out and welding everything together for me. The donor exhaust hanger bolted right up (the factory mounting hole is there already on the pass side).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh okay, I thought it was a direct swap. I think I'll end up doing it just like you did coneynew, thanks for the info. One question though, how would I go about getting a new "Y" pipe from a duratec?

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Actually, I bought it really cheap from Walker Exhaust. I just put in 1997 Ford Taurus and then selected the Duratec option. Keep in mind the rear "Y" pipe I bought is not mandrel bent so it has the 'crimping' where the bends are. Serious exhaust enthusiast would probably prefer a mandrel bent "y" pipe. Me, I was just doing it for the Aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
You would just need part# 53182, mufflers of your choice, tips and the pass side exhaust hanger & isolator.

The 1st pic is for the 3.0L DOHC ('tec)
and the 2nd pic is for the 3.4L (SHO)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thank you for all the help! Yeah I could care less if it's not mandrel bent, I'm just going more for the look of a dual exhaust than anything. I'm actually going to do exactly that, so you just took the hanger and isolator from just any other car? I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what is the isolator?

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
The rubber piece that connects to the hanger and then to the muffler or tip

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
You can see from the Vulcan exhaust, kind of where the cut will need to be made.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotcha, that makes sense. Those pictures really help out, thanks. I'm going to get this done pretty soon here

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a couple questions for you coney, I'm finally gettin around to actually buying the parts, I've been putting it off for too long.

I was wondering on the mufflers you got; what size were the in and out pipes? Also, did you get the offset in and offset out, or the offset in and center out? I'm thinking about getting the dynomax super turbo mufflers, and there are just so many options.

One more thing, for that y pipe #53182, the piping is 2" correct? Also, if you can remember, about how much did you pay for installation? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna make sure everything swaps up correctly. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I have a '96 LX, it has dual exhausts. If you have time to wait, I can get you a system. My plan is to use my car to build a template so I can make more complete catback systems. I am just waiting on component parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh really? Yeah if I were able to get the complete catback system from you that would work, if the wait was before the end of summer. But I'm not too sure I'm going to like the price of shipping, and I'd also like to know how much you would be asking for the complete system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh ofcourse, just pm me whenever you know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts