Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!! has anyone ever converted their 99 slo bumper into a sho bumper? I'm thinking about swapping mine to a sho bumper but, I not sure if all the inner parts match for eg. is the absorber & Reinf. bar the same. I know the sho has a bumper cover brace, bumper cover upper reinf. Not sure if the slo has these. :dunno: Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
All you need is the plastic, painted outer cover!

I was told over and over that I needed the SHO reinforcement or foam support or whatever, but it fits with all the SLO parts.

Front and rear both fit absolutely fine with everything else stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All you need is the plastic, painted outer cover!

I was told over and over that I needed the SHO reinforcement or foam support or whatever, but it fits with all the SLO parts.

Front and rear both fit absolutely fine with everything else stock.
[/b]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Sean t thats what I though but the autobody also try to tell me the same thing so I thinking about doing it myself. Major mention something about a lip on the bottom no sure what thats called I have to ask him thank dude for your help. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
It's a little black piece that flares out under the bottom of the bumper. It should be attached to the bumper... idk why anyone would separate it.

Basically it serves as a bracket so you can still use your original shield that's under the radiator. (That huge half-moon shaped piece with six holes in it.)

If you need a picture, I can take one tomorrow if it doesn't start snowing before I wake up. An entire week of freakishly warm weather, everything melts causing massive flooding, and now it's gonna snow again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, major thank for the reply just wondering your mention a lower black plastic lip under the cover is that the one thats attached to the valance? Here's an attachment is that the one your talking about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
yeah. That's it. :)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Thanks so much Sean t thats what I though but the autobody also try to tell me the same thing so I thinking about doing it myself. Major mention something about a lip on the bottom no sure what thats called I have to ask him thank dude for your help. :thumb: [/b]
The gen 3 SHO bumper cover is in two pieces, while the SLO bumper cover is only one piece. When getting a SHO cover, make sure to get both the top and bottom pieces.

[attachmentid=28655]

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts

As said. Just more easily seen in that photo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek: Oh I see the bottom part of the bumper cover. you mean the (valance) I got it. Now Is their anything that attach to the valance. In other words Does the radiator cover on the bottom bolt on to the valance or does it require another attachment. :dunno: Could that be the picture attachment I sent?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
There is a large painted bumper cover (with the grille and turn signals)

Then bolted to that is a painted valance (see Silvapain's pic)

Then there is a black valance hidden under the bumper (item you posted, you can see it good in three50one's pic)

The black hidden valance is then attached to the radiator cover (which is identical to what is stock on your car already)

When I bought my SHO bumper, it was all bolted together... so chances are if you are getting one used off of craigslist or at the junkyard, they will call all three pieces together the "bumper cover". I doubt many people other than Taurus enthusiasts would call it three separate parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) Thanks!! Sean I like the break down very helpful, now I understand. I was confused because I keep seeing picture of these parts but, I could not figure out where they go.

It was hard to get a visual from underneath the bumper. You guy's are the best I'm glad this site exist. I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks everyone for posting pictures and walking me through. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts