Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know its been done before by Sable Sal. But I just wanted to know a few other things before I go ahead and do this modification. Well since I am going to get my car painted soon, I want to do any body modifications possible to them out of the way before the painting.

I really hate how the frontend of the sable looks compared to the rear. I think that the car would look way better and alot more balanced with a SHO or SLO bumper from a Taurus. I also included a picture of a sable to show how I don't like how the rear bumper and front bumper don't line up in height, making the side profile looks horrible. I think the SHO bumper is a lower so hopefully that can help the side profile. The sable frontend looks terrible and just simply ugly. Anyways can you guys answer these questions:

I know I have to get the taurus headlights and turn signal housings correct?
  • What Year Range do I have? 96-99 right?
  • Are the fenders the same on the Sable and Taurus? (96-99)
  • Hood has to be replaced as well correct?
  • Any other items i didn't list need to be swapped?
I have a total budget of $450 to do this swap, Im going to the local junkyard to pick up the parts so It doesn't matter if they are used as they will be painted and if they have slight dents I will pop them out and fill it in with some filler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Did Sal have to swap the header panel on his, too?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I don't think he did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im still looking for the Sho Bumper, I have a few more junkyards to check out before I start searching online.

Im thinking of making a custom rear panel for the sable as well, also looking for a type of lip spoiler for the sable, i might have to make my own out of fiberglass, which I know how to do.

Why am I going to do all of this? Well simply because I want to make my own Mercury Sable model. There is GS, LS and now there is gonna be a LSX. I have an awesome idea in my mind and I can't wait to get it on the car. :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
A good condition SHO Bumper is hard to find in a junkyard. Even online, they are more expensive than a SLO bumper.

Where are you located? There might be someone in your area that knows of a SHO in a junkyard.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm pretty sure Sal did need to swap the header panel, and the SHO front bumper is two pieces, so make sure you get the chin splitter, as well.

JR

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know what else would work? the Taurus bumper w/ the chin spoiler....That would give me the bumper effect that I want :)

I live in Anaheim CA, right next to Disneyland.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The SHO chin splitter, or the Mach 1 splitter? I doubt the SHO chin splitter will fit on the standard Taurus bumper. The Mach 1 splitter will fit on a Sable front end, though.

JR

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will it? Hmmm, well i still don't like the Sable bumper compared to the taurus bumper, so im still thinking of going sho or chin.

Where can I get the mach1 splitter?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Definitely better hardware on that one. The little buggers are a pain in the ass to install and remove, as the center piece never really gets far enough out to relieve the tension. Most times, you end up pulling them out with a pair of pliers.

JR

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
good luck on buying all of that and getting it painted under $450, paint is expensive especially if you want it done right

·
Registered
223 Posts
good luck on buying all of that and getting it painted under $450, paint is expensive especially if you want it done right
[/b]
Pretty sure he said his $450 budget was for the swap only. In which case he SHOULD be fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the budget for the swap is $450.

Im greatful to have my fiancee, for our wedding present to each other, I got her our own apartment and she is getting me a paint job :) YAY US. :)

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Pretty sure he said his $450 budget was for the swap only. In which case he SHOULD be fine.
[/b][/quote]
oh im so sorry...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I live in California :p, quite far! Im going to a pull your part later this week, hopefully I can find a gen 3 sho there, if not im getting the taurus front end and add the mach chin splitter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts