Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a thread showing progress of our 1993 SHO re-build. We got this car about a year ago, it had been sitting for almost 4 years. We stuck a battery in it, changed the oil, added some coolant, and click click, click. We then pulled the starter out of a '96GL we had for parts, slapped it on the SHO, and it spun off first shot. The car seemed to run decent enough, but as we have owned 11 other Taurii, it also seemed to run a bit warm. Sooo, we installed a new thermostat, upper radiator hose, two new coolant sensors, and a dual core radiator. After some major decision making and the fact that we felt the head gasket was on the way out, not to mention the fact that it has over 150,xxx miles, we decided to pull the engine and do a refresh. Well, it's turned into WAY more than something simple, and since pulling the engine, the car has managed to get completely stripped, save for the interior. We are at a point where we can start making some progress to reassemble parts of the front suspension, so, thats where we'll start. This is definitely going to be something long term, so bear with us, and we hope you enjoy the pics.

one of the rear struts, not yet painted

close-up of that strut

these next two are actually my first of hopefully not TOO many screw-ups. I actually cut the strut tube TOO damn short, so I had to weld it back on, and recut it higher, it turned out quite well.

here is one of the front struts modified and painted

and this is a shot of the OE inserts all cut out, the new KONI inserts mounted, and the spring isolators, etc all in the basket to the left.

right now, it's raining soo I've got to wait to paint the rears. I might get a wild hair and install the crank, who knows.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Nice project :D You guys gotta keep us updated, but I know you will :thumb:

This should turn out to be a pretty sweet SHO :coolgleam:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I think you need to take them back to Jan. of last year and show some of the pics of the tear down, just a few to give an idea of where we are coming from.

It’s been a neat project so far searching for all the right parts and trying to win eBay auctions to get the parts I want! There are still a lot of new parts to buy. So many things to remove and replace, clean & paint. It’s a good size task for sure! This will be almost a "new" car when its done I wouldn’t recommend anyone doing unless they have deep pockets, free space, lots of tools and know how!

I have to give props to my BIG BRO Rudy for all the hard work and effort he has put into the car, He has done the vast majority of it with little or no help from me as I have been physically unable or have not had the time to do the work and trust me its been a lot of work!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
w00000t!! I'm gonna get to see em in person.

I want your old rear swaybar. :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
SOLD! I have the new ones hiding under the bed already! Soon to be seeing some new Black Powder!

You know where to pick it up! I think the old bushings are in the "old bushing bucket/pretzel jug" if you want those to! If you want to wait a few weeks I can have it coated black for you if you got some skrilla to donate! If not i think we got 2 cans of "sun yellow" you can have to paint it with! :gay:

w00000t!! I'm gonna get to see em in person.

I want your old rear swaybar. :ph34r:
[/b]

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we got our package from BMR, whooo let me tell you, WOW!!!!!

rear adjustable control arms

These things are NIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, Mark came by the other day and we changed out his right rear caliper because it was locked up, and changed his rear pads. We also installed the old sway bar from the SHO, I think he likes it..............LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I LOVE the new bar. I'm sure my tires absolutely hate me, though. "Why must you always turn so faaaasssttt!?!?!?"

Those bmr bars = :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I started today.........

I finished painting the struts, and started to assemble them.

All the loose parts.

One of the rears put together.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I love new parts! but the hurt my wallet feelings! ! Those rubber spring things washed up nice in the washing machine! Wait i think we forgot the spring isolater/seat on the botom of that spring!

Stuff comes back from the powdercoater today! YAY!!!!! more pics to follow!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Oooooooh powdercoating :D

I'm gonna keep watching this...subscribed B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
:blink: That is the most beautiful subframe I've ever seen :D

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Actually were doing a great job at buying new parts and spending lot of skrilla making the old ones were going to reuse look like new! The car itself is still sitting on stands in the driveway! Soon very soon! Hopefully it will be back on its wheels again!

WAIT TILL YOU GUYS SEE THE NEW TOY WE ARE GETTING TONIGHT!!!! PICS TO COME!

You guys are ... doing a freaking awesome job on that Taurus.
[/b]

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, Mike, this is the main reason I became a mechanic 22 years ago, I absolutely love to work on cars!!!! I enjoy every aspect of it, tear down, reassembly, diagnosing problems, getting frustrated and throwing wrenches, the whole nine!!!! I just wish I was in better shape, to do it all now. But I'm not doing too bad, and hopefully this project will help us both get off our asses, lose some weight, and build a little confidence in the process.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts