Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone out there has installed an SHO Body Kit (Front and Rear Bumpers) on a 98 SE. Are the bumper assemblies the same (can I just pick up the front and rear bumper covers) or to I need the entire assembly? How difficult is the conversion? Thanks.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
First off...WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

You will fint the search feature to be very helpful as i can guarentee that 98% of the questions you have have been answered before.

Now that mmy speech is over:

The sho has only 2 major things diffrent. Althoe the side skirts are diffrent, you will never notice. The front bumper is the biggest diffrence followed by the rear.

They just bolt on, but you need to know a few things about the front.

It is actually a 2 pice bumper, there is the upper half (bumper Cover) and the lower half (the valance). If you get them from a junk yard, they will be attached and considered one piece. If you buy them oem or aftermarket, make sure to order both pieces. I would reccomend oem or used oem, as the aftermarket ones SUCK (I know this from personal experence). You will also need the air dam and lower rock shield to do the conversion.The foam piece behind the bumper cover is diffrent as well, but the changes are very minor and i found no problem using the stock one.

The rear cover bolts right up...nothin special there.

Brad

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Don't forget that reflector cover. :liplick: Moved to Aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Welcome to the "family" club. First off, be very wary of "too good to be trues". Alot of junk yards and places that say they have anything asthetically SHO usually don't know the difference between an SLO bumper cover and an SHO bumper cover. Also remember to get the valance for the front bumper cover. It just doesn't look right without it. But if you really are gonna do it check these guys out..... http://www.autodirectsave.com

P.S. I don't know if anybody told you but AndysAutoSport is coming out with a bodykit for the Gen III Taurus in the next couple of weeks. Might wanna check it out first. Also you may want to PM "Baby SHO" or "nosho96gl". I can't think of anybody else off hand right now but I know there's a few.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
dont bother with NOSHO96GL cause...well, just take my advice. Id be glad to answer any questions you have.

Brad

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome!! You will find anything you need here and everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.

When I got in my wreck, I was thinking about buying the SHO front cover, until I saw the price. I didn't get it, it's a 2 piece design and the main piece (the actual cover) was WAAAAAAY more than the SLO cover (more than $100 more). Then the lower piece was ridiculous too. It's not like the SHO cover is that much more different to make it that much more expensive.

What I really wanted to do was buy a 2000-up (Gen 4) front end. It will fit if you get the parts you need. Fenders, bumper cover, hood, header panel, and headlights. There are probably a few other small parts in there, but it's not that hard. And actually the G4 bumper cover is a few bucks less than the G3. I just think the G4 front end looks better and you can get it for fairly cheap, and you would have a "Gen 3 1/2" :banana: :p

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jun 14 2004, 01:04 PM
dont bother with NOSHO96GL cause...well, just take my advice. Id be glad to answer any questions you have.

Brad
ROFL!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts