Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 vulcan. My steering wheel shimmys while a break at high speeds and I can hear a droning sound in front of car. The car seems to chug while coming to a stop almost like the pads are rubbing half the time. I also notice when it is raining and a break hard the car pulls to the drivers side quite strongly. I have replaced calipers, pads and rotors, struts and springs front and wheel bearing on front passenger side. I am suspecting a wheel bearing on the front drivers side. What else would cause this? By the way no change with winter rims and tires......lost

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would have a mechanic check to see if your rotors are warped. If they are they can resurface them. I had a similar problem and that's what it was. I bought brand new rotors to replace my warped ones and 2,000 miles later I was getting a shimmy again. Come to find out that even brand new rotors can be warped a little bit. I got a friend who a mechanic at Firestone and he said they resurface all the new rotors before they install them on customer's cars, just for that reason. So maybe that's it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come to think of it the car did perfom well right after install but shimmied not to long after. I was assuming the same mechanism which warped the first set may be there still, I assummed wheel bearings. I wll check out the rotors though,...thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
The car has a lateral run out (LRO) problem. When the right-front wheel bearing was replaced, was the steering knuckle properly cleaned of corrosion, where the 3 wheel bearing/hub bolts attach the wheel bearing/hub to the knuckle? Firestone is a great place to go. Ask them to true the rotors up with their ProCut Machine, which prevents LRO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips. I will see if resurface will help. Raybestos cheap rotors.....maybe warped when purchased....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry forgot, I don't know if corrosion was removed. This problem was there before....I am on third wheel bearing on pass side and second on drivers at 215K...I am sure there is something else at work here... I am going to try a resurface..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Probably pad problems. Either the pads are worn or the pads are cheap POS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a good peak at then brakes today

Front passengers side:

outer pad 8mm thick, also show a thicker tier at the top(pad moving in braket?) spring is gone on pad
inner pad 10mm thick,
piston difficult to push in
slider well lubed and move well when piston is pushed in a bit
rotor ribbed on inner side, smooth on the outside

Front Drivers side:

outer pad 10mm thick
inner pad 9.5mm thick
piston easy to push in
sliders well lubbed and move well when piston is pushed in a bit
rotors lightly ribbed on both sides

I think the piston is sticking on pass side of car. They are both NAPA rebuilt but pass side one looks rustier, bore may be worn or corroded Car pulls to that side when braking.......

over

1 - 8 of 8 Posts