Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Bull LX, 155,337 miles
Just completed an oil change and tire rotation over the weekend, and now I get a mild shimmy in the steering wheel between 20 and 40MPH.

I'm only about 50 miles into the the tire rotation and the tires are nearing end of life as the wear indicators are just about even with the tread. I'd like to attribute the shimmy to the fact the rear tires are on the front and perhaps not quite as round as they could be.

Still, I wanted to check with the experts. I did the rotation myself using my brand new air compressor and impact wrench (love my new toys). Could the shimmy be related to the impact wrench? I put the lug nuts on in a star pattern and the nuts are snug without being over tightened, as far as I can tell.

What does everyone think?

As always, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
405 Posts
most likely tires, you won't feel out of balance on the rears nearly as much as you will on the front. If you rotated left to right or in an X pattern you'll feel the wear pattern from the reverse rotation unless you had rotated them the same way fairly often over the lifespan of the tires. The tires at the end of their lifespan will also be flexing more on the sidewall, which again, you wouldn't have felt as much if the worn tires were on the rear.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Did you use a torque wrench? Not useing one wouldn't contrubuite to the shimmy but will cause other problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the shimmy likely reduce as the tires wear in at their new corner? I rotated according to the manual, Front to rear, rear to opposite side front.

I've never used a torque wrench on lug nuts, ever in 30+ years of drivng. I just tightened the nuts hard enough so that they were tight, yet removable by person of average strength. What issues can happen if the nuts are not torqued perfectly to speC?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Will the shimmy likely reduce as the tires wear in at their new corner? I rotated according to the manual, Front to rear, rear to opposite side front.
?
Not likely if you haven't been doing it all along - especially since your original statement was that the tires were nearing the end of their lifespan

·
Registered
95 Posts
I rotated according to the manual, Front to rear, rear to opposite side front.
If you are running steel belted radial tires - basically the standard these days - my understanding is that they are directional (I know my Goodyear tires are).

When the rears are moved to the other side fronts they will rotate opposite to their prior direction. This may or may not be causing the shimmy, but if you have not already done so I recommend you verify proper rotation direction on your two front tires soon.

If you are going to have tire problems, and you have a choice, you want them to happen on the rear tires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Running Uniroyal Tiger Paw Freedom, standard size for Taurus. I visited te Uniroyal site and their was no mention of directionality for thier tires. They suggest regular tire rotaion per the owner's manual, which is how I did it.

The tires probably have another 5000 or so miles left. There is no shimmy at higher speeds. Does it make sense to have the fronts balanced?

I'd replace the tires now, but I don't have the $400 laying around readily. Plus, they still have some life left.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your tires are not balanced properly. Your bounce is from 20-40. Others might have a problem from 50-60 if their tires aren't balanced properly. So your window for bounce is 20-40. Then you get past that, and it smooths out. If the tires are almost worn out, you might want to just live with it. A tire place is going to charge you to re balance them. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^ Ive always encountered problems when switching sides (direction) during a rotation whether the tires are directional or not. For me, its front to back, same side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, then, should I switch the sides of the fronts? It may get rid of the shimmy and will give me another chance to use my new compressor and impact wrench!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts