Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

Today I have thought of (and tested) a new way of gaining more speed in an automatic than you normally would, and I would like to know if this could damage anything, such as the transmission.

So, basically, what I do is (say I'm wanting to get from 0-60) start off in overdrive mode (typical, yes?). After first getting on the highway, I let the RPMs get up to near 3K or so, and after a second or two, I shift into regular drive, and just keep my foot where it was on the accelerator. In doing so, the RPMs of the Taurus rises, and after I hit the peak RPMs, I shift back into overdrive, let the RPMs drop to roughly 1.5K, and then repeat if necessary.

Any word on this?

Oh, and I don't need any "That's stupid!"s or "Dumb idea."s, just tell me if it can ruin anything in my car, and maybe some thoughtful opinions.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Overdrive doesn't engage on my AX4S until about 40mph, so I don't know if there would be an advantage there. However, one of the first things that happens when you mash on the accelerator is that the transmission drops out of overdrive. If you manually shift out of overdrive before trying some sort of acceleration, it might give you more instantaneous power since the computer doesn't have to shift out of overdrive first.

The '95 police model had a computer that allowed you to keep overdrive engaged at WOT, but I'm not sure whether that carried over. (It was mostly for top speed considerations.)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hello.

Today I have thought of (and tested) a new way of gaining more speed in an automatic than you normally would, and I would like to know if this could damage anything, such as the transmission.

So, basically, what I do is (say I'm wanting to get from 0-60) start off in overdrive mode (typical, yes?). After first getting on the highway, I let the RPMs get up to near 3K or so, and after a second or two, I shift into regular drive, and just keep my foot where it was on the accelerator. In doing so, the RPMs of the Taurus rises, and after I hit the peak RPMs, I shift back into overdrive, let the RPMs drop to roughly 1.5K, and then repeat if necessary.

Any word on this?

Oh, and I don't need any "That's stupid!"s or "Dumb idea."s, just tell me if it can ruin anything in my car, and maybe some thoughtful opinions.
Let me see.

You're starting in OD, going into first, then going into second and cutting out OD before you hit it or possibly 3rd and then applying OD after you've reached your speed.

In theory, I would say that it works because when you take it out of OD it allows you to flog the engine harder and gain some speed. If you floor your car with it set to (D) (D with OD) it probably won't hit overdrive for a while. You're basically holding the engine at a higher rev band for longer which would explain the slight increase in speed at a certain speed range, that is until you run out of RPMs and need to get into the next gear. You could always just start out in regular D (without OD) and shift it into OD when you please and that would work just as well I think, in fact it would probably be better since you're not putting any more wear on the tranny by shifting it so much. These engines are rev happy.

Just drive it as a 3 speed and use OD on the highway is my thought?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, basically what you two are saying is "Accelerate in regular drive from 0, and then shift to overdrive when your RPMs get high enough"?

Or is it something else...?

And this is a Duratec engine we're talking about, not a Vulcan, if you didn't know.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
So, basically what you two are saying is "Accelerate in regular drive from 0, and then shift to overdrive when your RPMs get high enough"?

Or is it something else...?

And this is a Duratec engine we're talking about, not a Vulcan, if you didn't know.
Well, my thought is that (D) and D aren't really any different until you reach the upper end of 3rd. It should give you the same results to start in D and use the first 3 gears until you run out of RPM and then go into OD, it should give you the exact result with less work. What the other guy said is what I do sometimes, when I want to pass a car for example, I'll pop it out of OD myself because I don't like the computers timing of it. You can hold the engine in 3rd all you like and go into OD when you see fit. Going out of OD is there for large hills and such too. I can't stand the Windstars transmission going up a hill, I'll start at the bottom and by the time I go 3/4 of the way up, it'll finally decide it's time to downshift out of OD. I'm not sure if that's normal for these vans or not, but the OD button is there for the using.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
^^^^^ +1

What the OP is doing will have not effect on WOT performance in a 0-60 run at all. At WOT the PCM will shift the tranny just below the red line no matter if D or OD is selected. The PCM will not let the engine over rev even if you, say, slam the shifter into 1st at 80 mph.

Back in the "old days" of 100% hydraulically controlled trannies with no connection to the PCM, it was sometimes possible to "fool" the tranny into shifting at higher RPMS / holding gears longer. Classic example was the "1 - D - 1" shuffle with the old AODs in the FOX 3 5.0 Mustangs. That trick, unfortunately did a great job of ripping up the tranny as well as holding second longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts