Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so basically today i noticed my car when i shifted from park to drive it shift very ruth but this only happens sometimes, as it would be very smooth at times. Also the car while in drive shifted perfect in gear without no slipping or etc. So i parked my car and when i started her up she started up but when i shift out of park the transmission shifter feels very loose and has to much play init, while am putting the shifter into another gear like D, OD, or etc it seems to be stuck in park because me and some guy tryed to push the car and even putting the car in N it still wouldn't move as if it was stuck in park and when i put in D or any of the gears nothing happens but still feels like its in P, when i put it in reverse no reverse lights come on.

A few weeks ago my shifter acted up and would all off a sudden only start in R, and Drive in N i believe it was, when this happened a gold screw came off somewhere above the pedals area, my mechanic fixed the problem pretty quick.

When my torque converter went out last year i don't remember the shifter ever feeling so loose.

So what do you guys think the problem is?

The tow truck guy that had to use wheelers or something like that to tow my car, thinks its the shifter cable since no reverse lights come when place in R, and the car is stuck in park despite putting the shifter in another gear.

My car: Ford Taurus 96 gl vulcan column shifter

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
One way to test. KOEO (ignition in run position engine off). Put E-brake on. Put in R. Do you have reverse lights?

If no lights, Shifter cable is busted. Time for a new one.

Another test. Look at the neutral safety switch located on top of the trans where the shifter linkage connects. shift through the gears, have someone watch. If nothing moves, your cable busted.

The nice part about this design is that if your shifter cable ever breaks, putting it in park will always work because you are pushing the now 2 part rod into each other before it hits the parking prawl.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check your Neutral Safety Switch. I've been having trouble with mine, and it's connected directly to the shift cable (or, it should be). Aligning it's proving to be a pain, though - I don't really know what I'm doing, so it's just guesswork.

·
Registered
8 Posts
During research of similar issue on a 06 Taurus with Column shifter, the OP seems to have a problem with the screws that connect the shift cable connector to the end of the shift rod. These 2 screws (torx head) at least in some of the newer fords) have gotten loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts