Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Totally agree with the above; I had the same issue on my Taurus and the brake light switch behind the pedal was to blame. Cheap and easy fix!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yup. Pretty common. Learned of it on emergency call from daughter at college. Key on, neutral start procedure is best bet until you replace brake light switch. I got switch at Autozone. There was an issue even with that where the contact is too far away and brake lights only come on after a harder brake vs coasting the brake. A simple waher or shim to fill the gap has been in place with no problems for a few years now.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
583 Posts
Yup. Pretty common. Learned of it on emergency call from daughter at college. Key on, neutral start procedure is best bet until you replace brake light switch. I got switch at Autozone. There was an issue even with that where the contact is too far away and brake lights only come on after a harder brake vs coasting the brake. A simple waher or shim to fill the gap has been in place with no problems for a few years now.
I did not know this, I appreciate the info, Thanks. I just hope my feebly mind will recall this if I ever have a need. Old age sucks.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Couple tricks found here.
Trick a door so the car senses the door is closed when it is open. Pass a rod, (phillips screw driver) through the latch on the door and no interior light, and if the key is the ignition, no chimes. Just remember to reverse before closing the door.
And the "N" with key in first position. I have used this to put the car in "N" when having a caliper off and need to turn a front hub. Prefer not to use the brake pedal with the caliper off.
You could put a note in the glove box but have to remember where you put it.
-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts