Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry, i was looking at the advanced auto parts website, and they sell a shift kit for my taurus. The have a stage 1 and stage 2 kit. First of all is it worth it? second, how hard would it be to install, and what exactly will it do to make it worth while?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Can you post a link to what youi're talking about? The only shift kits I've seen available for tauruses are a like preventative maintenance, not performance. But stage 1 and stage 2 sounds like it might be performance. Post a link.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
That's weird. I've never heard of a universal shift kit, you usually have to get a kit that is designed for you specific type of transmission. This doesn't even say if it's for FWD or RWD.

I think I found the same kit over on jegs.com, and it has different kits for different transmissions, and I didn't find a listing for my transmission (AX4N). But I went on partsamerica.com and told them what vehicle was and sure enough they gave me the b&m shift kit.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...182&prmenbr=361

If I were you, I'd go down to the transmission shop you plan on having it installed at and ask them before you order the kit. You may need to print out the page from partsamerica if they don't want to look it up on the computer. Also, you should be open to any kit they recommend, because they usually don't warranty their work if you bring in your own parts to have them install it.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
You get 2 kits when you buy the package. One for Heavy Duty and one for Street and Strip. It does improve your shifting if you've ever had problems with your transmission slipping. It's a good thing to have if you have upgraded your EEC with a chip.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Yeah, but will it fit? It doesn't list any transmissions that it's made for, so how do you know if it will fit? I really find it hard to believe that there are universal kits available that really will fit EVERY transmission, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything about transmissions.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Yes, it will fit. You select the kit based on your vehicle Idenification number. For example:

V6 3.0 Liter FI
Part #182 CID VIN 2
V6 3.0 Liter FI
Part#182 CID VIN S
V6 3.0 Liter FI
Part#182 CID VIN U

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i use the stage 2 one, which it says is for more high performance cars. wold it adversly affect my transmission in a bad way, since my car is clearly not high performance?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by JasonBVHS@Jan 5 2004, 02:55 PM
If i use the stage 2 one, which it says is for more high performance cars. wold it adversly affect my transmission in a bad way, since my car is clearly not high performance?
No. Basically all the kit is, is a replacement of the stock silicone groument seals and gaskets (A minor rebuild). The seals are of better qaulity and will last much longer. Your shifts will become more firm and less likely to break down under extremely high tempuratures and shifting at higher speeds. Not only will improve performance, but under normal driving shifting will also be improved.

If you've ever come out of a stop light and your car feels like it goes from 1st to 3rd in a hurry and then jumps back into 2nd, this is due to worn seals. The kit will solve this problem.

I've heard of the new seals of being less fuild for your tranny. If you compare the two seals together, you will notice the thickness and the stock seals have more holes to allow more trans fluid to flow through. Personally, I don't think this will cause a problem, but some people will poke extra holes or leave a few of the replacement silicone grouments out. I couldn't tell you which ones not to use. I used the whole kit and added a synthetic additive to the fluid to keep it nice and thin for better flow (I can't remember which product I used).

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no you can leave it in your car. its just a replacement gasket. requires a minor ability in mechanics. just make sure to use jack stands to secure the car whenever working underneath it!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Iv been looking into the DIY shift kits from transgo myself, but i can seem to find a conprehensive list of Pros and Cons of the intall. I admit, after reading the site, that other than crisper shifts that were mentioned im not quite sure what the benefits would be...anyone installed one of these things themselves?

Brian

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
You may want to ask Paul (SHOZ123). I think he's done it. It's alot of work. I have the diagram through my mechanics guide and it looks hard. You need a lot of specialty tools to get the job done yourself. I don't recommend doing it yourself, unless you work with an experienced mechanic to help you. If you don't already know what you are doing, don't attempt it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is from the transgo page's DIY kit plug:

TransGo Performance Shift Kits are designed with the Do-It-Yourselfer in mind. The TransGo Performance Shift Kits provide the Durability, Firmness and Control of a Reprogramming Kit with the convenience of no transmission removal required, no special tools required and comprehensive and easy to follow instructions and installation videos produced for the home mechanic.

I presume this would be substantially easier than the full shift kit...
this is what im referring to in my earlier post.

Brian

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
To think that I wasted $400 to install the kit and flush my trans by a monkey. I could've done it all myself and saved $280.

I GOT RIPPED! The bad thing about me having it done, is it was a friend of mine who did the work for me. I just thought it was too difficult to do myself, because he didn't recommend it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Even the "DIY" version may be more that some kiddies should mess with.

First, even the most cursory glance at the sites should tell one that these kits are more than just a "replacement gasket" or "a replacement of the stock silicone groument seals and gaskets (A minor rebuild)".

Anybody who thinks that's all a kit is, should probably not be touching anything mechanical, especially power tools. And definitely not my car.

The work for most trans kits requires skill. That, and competency. You screw this up and your trans is toast. You can do this in without removing the trans, but you need to keep the process very clean. Dirt or grit will be a real problem.

Besides gaskets (usually one or two that remap trans fluid paths) there are new springs with different rates, valves, rods, and balls. Not all of these are used for every installation.

They're used to regulate pressure to the vacuum modulator and shift valving. By increasing the pressure required to initiate a shift, the slipping is reduced. By reducing the duration of the shift, heat is reduced. Both of these modifications will increase the firmness of the shift. This may be a mild or hard increase. Most Taurii would likely not benefit with the Steet n Strip levels of shifting. There would be no real gain in performance with 200HP motors (275HP w/CAI) and a hard shifting car is more annoying than the constant din of loud exhaust.

I had a B&M shift kit put in my old Z/28 with the mid-level modifications, just below SnS. At first the shifts were very noticeable (compared to the soft, mushy factory settings) but in a week, I didn't even notice it. (Note: 1st and 2nd gear loss of traction under hard acceleration was a pleasant reminder of money well spent.

The one slight danger of a well installed kit might be the fact that these can and often do eliminate lower gear lockouts. As one who used compression braking, there is a risk of throwing the trans into a lower gear at RPM it wasn't designed to handle. That could be a bad thing.

I'm not sure if I'd even want the most mild upgrade in my SEL. I really like the seamless shifting. But I would like to decrease the throttle kickdown time. I guess that means chipping the car. But I don't want to risk the warranty. I also miss the ability of being able so manually select 2nd gear. Waiting for the kickdown from Drive (not OD) is a drag.

(Oh, and for the one or two who didn't get it, the 275HP w/CAI thing was a joke.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts