Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Shift Kit vs tuner" produced no results.

I have an old topic from back in the day 05 but that no longer applies.

I now have a 01 Taurus SES with 3.0 Vulc. I am trying to figure out if a shift kit is the way to go or use a tuner to set shift points. :unsure: Now my transmission is not on the frits at all but I would like to buy the parts I would need now rather than later. I am not looking for an increase in power but rather an increase it tansmission life. I know SCT and Diablo make tuners and I can get shiftkits from bulkpart.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
A proper tune can prolong tranny life by firming up the shifts. A trans cooler is also an excellent idea. If you're going to do a rebuild, the shift kit would be nice, but the other 2 things will prolong your tranny NOW rather than waiting for it to fail.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (mikeo007 @ Mar 3 2009, 09:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705152
A proper tune can prolong tranny life by firming up the shifts. A trans cooler is also an excellent idea. If you're going to do a rebuild, the shift kit would be nice, but the other 2 things will prolong your tranny NOW rather than waiting for it to fail.[/b]
Thats what I was refering to when I said tuner :thumb: . A cooler is coming as soon as i get a pillar pod for the engine temp, oil pressure and tranny temp gauges.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The tuner can set shift firmness and shift points. The shift kit will improve shifting (up and down), as well as other transmission issues that these slushboxes possess, but wont change shift points.

Like rudy said, do both.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Setting aside the funds now, pm'd shoz123 about the tuner $450 and haven't been able to find the shift kit yet. Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts