Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything using search because I'm not sure what the problem is. Hopefully someone can "guide" me to something I can try.
Basically, I inherited my 01 Vulcan Sable from my parents. It's been well maintained (Mom always took it to the local shop for maintenance, etc). I've noticed ever since I've had it that when you shift into Drive, it just wants to LAUNCH! When it's cold outside and your car revs higher, it wants to break the front tires loose! :D
My Explorer does the same thing.... revs high, but when you shift it into gear, it slows down and there is some resistance there. Not so on the Sable. There is a little snow in the parking lot at work. When I back out of my stall and shift into drive, it breaks them loose all the time. It doesn't take much.
In the morning, I start it up, wait 20/30 seconds, put it in drive and STAND on the brake. It lurches forward, then I let off the brake to leave my garage.
My ideas are TPS? tranny fluid? I can't see either of these causing this problem though.
Any other ideas for me?
Erick --

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Does the idle NOT drop after it warms up?

-Stuck open IAC valve
-Vacuum leak
-Dirty/NFG MAF sensor
-TPS

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
What is the RPM after the 20 to 30 seconds? After a COLD start, RPM should drop down quickly (30 seconds or less) to 1100 - 1200 RPM. It will take several minutes, if really cold out (I am talking northern states in the middle of winter cold here) to drop RPM to normal warm idle speed. Putting it in gear with engine at 1100-1200 RPM should not cause any problems other than a VERY mind clunk.

On a COLD start, my 05 Tec and wifes 04 Tec will drop RPM from 1200 or so to around 1000 for a second or 2 after putting foot on brake. I am guessing this programming is to limit shock to the tranny when putting it into gear. My 95 Vulcan doesnt do this, but, of course, has much more primitive control electronics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This weekend, I cleaned out the MAF with electrical contact cleaner and the IAC with brake cleaner. Both cleaned up very well. The IAC was terrible. It doesn't look perfect now, but we'll see how it performs this week.
On a side note, would the IAC being gunked up "tank" my fuel mileage? I got 20MPG that last tank. It's been bad all winter, but 20 with almost all interstate driving is terrible. Like I said, we'll see what happens this week.
Thanks for the heads up.
Jeff, that's exactly what I'm talking about (your second paragraph). It seems that when you put it in gear, it keeps the revs going and if you're not standing on the brakes, you're moving! It seemed better this weekend, but it's been considerably warmer here (30*-50*).
Erick --

1 - 4 of 4 Posts