N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Take it apart and clean it!

(mine is nicer for the record!)

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I pulled the intake silencer of the it today.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The back seat, driver's and passenger's seats came out for a cleaning yesterday. And I only have a Haynes manual.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Parts Store called saying my IAC was in, I go to pick it up and the CEL is on. I get home, pop the hood, grab an 8MM socket and extension and swap the old with the new!

Shiny

FYI Hitachi is the OEM maker of the IAC

Made in the USA!!

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,755 Posts
New IAC is the works and this happened:
:eek::eek::eek:

You have a rear-mid-engined Sable and haven't shared the secret? Holy cow. I just lifted the hood to change mine.:p

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Hah!!

Hitachi......hmmm....

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
With the failure rate of aftermarket IAC's I will be curious to hear how this one performs over time. Maybe it will be the successful AM brand
As for me, I would rather get one from the JY and clean it.
My 3 running cleaned IAC and I see them running just fine. '01 and'03 Sables. '02 Lin Cont.

Pic of the round hole is Lin, and this JY one I picked up totally stuck. Could not move the piston with a tooth pick. Cleaned and put on my Lin, ran for ~3 months and then put the original back on, cleaned and oiled.

Second one from my '01 ~120K after clean and oil, running just fine.

I cleaned the oil out with naptha as it evaporates faster then kerosene. Then cleaned the non oil stuff out with a Q-Tip and housold ammonia. Blow dry with compressed air. Oiled and back on the car.

So, running originals with 2 spares, one for each type.

Just my take.

My test for good performance: warm idle "N" A/C off read tac. Now, in "D" and then A/C, then turn the steering wheel to load the engine. Like to see ~50 rpm change, maybe little more, but less than 100. Those are the changes the IAC should compensate for. Of course it your A/C is low then the rpm might go up as the PCM is expecting normal load from A/C and it does not load.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
And to think I have a coffee can of motorcraft IAC's in charts picture condition from the wrecker.
Until something shows me different, I think they do not go bad, just get dirty and the shaft sticks. Of course I could be in error!

And if someone is a bozo, the quite different ones in my pic can be put on the wrong car. Same bolt pattern, same elect connection.

But then as in the pic, Ford made these so they can be put in the wrong place, same size, same elect conn. Bet that would cause a bit of pain. What were they thinking?

-chart-

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
It's the OEM part.
Just FYI, Borg Warner was the OES for the IAC valves. They sold their engine controls division to Standard Motor Products about ten years ago. That division is now known as BWD Automotive. The BWD and higher end SMP parts are made on the OE tooling. The same is true for the ignition coils and several other engine control parts.

That said, I've never had an issue with a Hitachi engine control part. If I couldn't get my hands on the actual OE part they would be one of the first brands I reached for. They are the OES for several manufacturers and manufacture their parts to OE standards. In this case it is not the actual OE part though.

21 - 40 of 555 Posts