Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 555 Posts

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many weeks and many test drives, I finally have another bull. Here is my "new" 2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium "Allison". It has many factory options, but the ones I would need to add and some rough edges too. The mileage is on the high side, over 166,XXX miles. It came from the dealership with with Taurus rims with shot tires. So I picked up a "new" Sable rim, (matched balanced at college, no weights on the face of the wheel) we put my wheels and tires on it as well. I also swapped over my dipped spear for the chrome one.

These photos are when I got the car back in 2014. Here are some photos of how the car looks now!!

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
It's safe Mark.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its home and it has plates Jag. So YES!!!

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Washed it today, did an oil change on it 3 days ago. Also changed out the driver's chrome door pull (broken) for the from Ashley (pristine condition).

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Sport threw a CEL at my father today, P1506. Cleaned and cleared it! We'll see what happens in the future now.....

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duratec VS. Vulcan (My comparison report)

From what I can remember about the Vulcan is that that engine had a VERY nice pull from a dead stop compared to the Duratec off the line the vulcan is better (maybe its the gearing). BUT when getting to a higher speed faster the Tec wins hands down (4 cams, higher redline). For top end power the Tec wins here too, since the Vulcan has HUGE power loss after 5k and the Tec keeps going till 6k. For the everyday Commuter Culture person there is no "REAL" difference maybe one driver sees a faster pull from 45-70 (Tec VS. Vulcan). The tec is happy to tach up and down all day, where as the vulcan wants to stay at the lower end of the rev range. 5k and ALL power is gone with the vulcan. The tec has used its torque band (4500 RPM) it still has some HP to carry it to the redline (just over 6k) though. The Vulcan's torque band though uses it in tandem with its HP band thus the 5k+ power loss. That's just my take on the Vulcan VS. Duratec debate.

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Here is a pic of a little problem with the Sables. Hood latch is right inside the grille, and exposed to sand and grit from the winter roades in the rust belt. Maybe in the sandy parts of the US also. Mine stuck and could not open the hood below freezing. Sparyed it and got by for a while but grit still there.

I took mine off and soaked it in a bucket of ammonia and washed it in water to get the grit out. Took the springs out and lubed it and got it free. Took pics so as to remember how the springs went in place. Did both my Sables.

Congrats on your nice car.

-chart-

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic of a little problem with the Sables. Hood latch is right inside the grille, and exposed to sand and grit from the winter roades in the rust belt. Maybe in the sandy parts of the US also. Mine stuck and could not open the hood below freezing. Sparyed it and got by for a while but grit still there.

I took mine off and soaked it in a bucket of ammonia and washed it in water to get the grit out. Took the springs out and lubed it and got it free. Took pics so as to remember how the springs went in place. Did both my Sables.

-chart-
Thanks Chart (and thanks for the tip), this car has lived in NY state (NO RUST) before I got it and the hood latch works great!

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Where in NY though? Still does not make much sense, since NY winters are hell on cars.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First was it was in the Bronxs then it was in Red Hook, NY and now its in Milford, CT!

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Ah, the Bronx is what saved it. If it came from Syracuse or pretty much anywhere else in NY, it'd be much different.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,008 Posts
Ah, the Bronx is what saved it. If it came from Syracuse or pretty much anywhere else in NY, it'd be much different.

I would think it being in the Bronx would mean it's had a dozen different "owners" ;)

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Well it saved it from being rotted out!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts

-chart-
I finally gave up on mine, I got some springs from Home Depot and that worked for a couple of months, but they weren't really the right type of springs meant for the outside so I finally just bought a new one from Rock Auto. Looks like the price of it went up too. The first one I got didn't have any lubricant on it, didn't think much of it at the time, but it just rusted out in a year and then I got a warranty replacement although I had to send the old one back. New one was properly greased and I sprayed some extra lubricant on it so it wouldn't rust up as quickly. Still holding up so far.

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
I finally gave up on mine, I got some springs from Home Depot and that worked for a couple of months, but they weren't really the right type of springs meant for the outside so I finally just bought a new one from Rock Auto. Looks like the price of it went up too. The first one I got didn't have any lubricant on it, didn't think much of it at the time, but it just rusted out in a year and then I got a warranty replacement although I had to send the old one back. New one was properly greased and I sprayed some extra lubricant on it so it wouldn't rust up as quickly. Still holding up so far.
I looked at the JY when I was getting something else, none looked good. So I see this as a maint item. No big deal to remove it and clean it up. Did both Sables this fall. We get lots of grit here in winter. In fact, they come around in the Srping and have a special vacuum/brush/spray truck to suck up the grit off the streets. Any forecast of precip and they salt and sand the roads, any two snow flakes and they come around again.

I use a leaf blower in the spring to blow out the under hood areas of my cars. Just the price we pay to go in the snow.

-chart-

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NEW MOD, I now have dual 12v power outlets

Oh and this happened:

I really need a new IAC though.

1 - 20 of 555 Posts