Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new here, got a 2002 taurus sedan with the vulcan engine, now i have a problem, while under hard acceleration, the whole front end of the car dhakes, the wheels are balanced, and the car is alligned, it has 40 000 original miles, any ideas on what this is? any input would be appreciated! :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the shaking is the same regardless of speed. It will be more noticable when going on the on-ramp on the hiway while the car is in 4th gear and accelerating (and not downshifting) In other words, it seems to only happen when there is a load on the engine I also have another problem, this time with the trans. it won't upshift from first to 2nd unless i bring it up to atleast 2000 RPM, and lets say while accelerating, the car is in 2nd gear, and you let off the gas, well, the trans should upshift to 3rd, but it stays in second... it feels like driving a manual trans...

·
Registered
52 Posts
The first thing that pops to mind is the torque converter. A bad converter will cause the shaking or heavy vibration and the drop in pressure will mess up the rest of the tranny. It could also be several other things. The first thing to do is pull the codes either at an Auto Zone a shop or buy a OBD II code reader. I bought mine off E-bay for about $50. This is not a scanner just a code reader.

G

·
Check the tires. Could have a seperated tire. When you had the tires balanced, did they say your tires were ok?

SableSal

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
First, check your lug nuts. If they are all OK, check the engine and trans mounts, and CV joints. If all that stuff checks out OK, I would take it to a trusted mechanic (NOT the dealership, unless you are well within the warranty period.) It COULD be the TC or another ATX problem, but those types of failures almost always throw a code (Check Engine light or O/D light flashing.)

Did you nail any potholes or hop any curbs lately? Did you change wheels or tires recently?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the check engine light doesn't come on neither does the transaxle light... and it only does that when you put a load on the engine, not while accelerating normaly, it's even more noticable when you floor it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought -- could it be a misfire? Or should that throw a code in a newer model? May be worthwhile to have a look at the spark plugs...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think it does throw a code in a newer car. Just a thought, check and make sure your alternator, A/C compressor, etc. bolts are not a little loose. I had a similar problem and that's all it was.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by red92gl@Jul 18 2004, 01:30 PM
I think it does throw a code in a newer car. Just a thought, check and make sure your alternator, A/C compressor, etc. bolts are not a little loose. I had a similar problem and that's all it was.
:withstupid:

Computer-controlled powertrains are very sensitive to bad grounds. I got all kinds of crazy codes and weird behavior before I found out one of the engine ground straps was just a tiny bit loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With the shaking only occuring during heavy acceleration I done't think it would be a tire or such. However the tranny light should come one with any pressure problems, but not always. A miss under heavy load would cause the shake along with an engine light most likely. Intermitant problems sometimes doen't turn the light on. The best thing would be to have a mechanic ride along with his scanner during heavy acceleration. These new cars provide real time data streams to the scanner, letting the mechanic see what is happening with the engine and tranny. Please post the soluton when you get one so that others can benefit from your misfortune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts