Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, we have a 2000 Mercury Sable with about 60k miles on it. No major problems so far except had to get an intake gasket replaced that was causing a misfile in one of the cylinders a year or so ago.

We are having a problem that my local mechanic couldn't even figure out. At idle, the car randomly shakes as if its about to stall, but only for a second. It almost feels as if someone bumped into the car. It happens maybe 5 times a minute when at idle and is pretty random. The RPM gauge does not move much when this happens, and there are no codes in the computer and no check engine lights. This has been going on for a month or so and hasn't really gotten worse, but it is not getting any better. My mechanic cleaned out some of the intake valves - which actually stopped the problem for a day or two, but it came back right away after that. I also notice the same sort of feeling just at the point when hitting the acceleration, but this is much less common during normal driving as it is when the car is at idle. Has anyone had something like this happen? Any ideas? I'd like to avoid taking the car to the dealer with their ridiculous labor rates.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had the exact same thing happen, and mine would even stall at red lights, and shake ridiculously. put in some heavy duty fuel injector cleaner, ran fine since. might want to change your fuel filter too if you havnt already, if you dont want to do it, you can have it done at an oil change place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (newportnews71 @ Jun 27 2009, 03:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735563
i had the exact same thing happen, and mine would even stall at red lights, and shake ridiculously. put in some heavy duty fuel injector cleaner, ran fine since. might want to change your fuel filter too if you havnt already, if you dont want to do it, you can have it done at an oil change place.[/b]
Ah.. thanks. Is Chevron Techron good enough to cut it or is there a more heavy duty brand I should try?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It's probably a dirty Idle Air Intake Control valve. It's a silver cylinder on top of the throttle body. Take it off and clean it with throttle body cleaner and see if that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts