Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several questions problems on my 2000 Taurus SE (Vulcan with 46000km) that I'd like to get your opinion on please.

1) Brakes:

My front brakes are screeching a bit when I apply them, although they still work well. How much longer can I use them before I should replace them? The front hub caps look like they are covered in a dust - from the brake pads?

The car judders ever so slightly when I use the brakes at speed - not enough that I'm worried and have to rush to get them fixed. But enough I presume they need attending to in the coming weeks / months.

Also, when I am stationary and release the brakes, there's a loud clunk. I can't describe it better than that, but it seems to occur when I apply and release the brakes when stationary.

2) Heater / Air Conditioner

I'm hearing two noises when I turn the heater onto level 1 (lowest output), set the temperature to cold and set the air to come out of the front passengers vents. The first sound is like rustling paper, and the second is a bit like gurgling water. Is this a problem, or the first sign of a future problem?

3) Engine / exhaust

The car is not performing well at all. Fuel efficiency is poor and performance is poor. I do a lot of city driving, typically at 40-50km/h. At these speeds, if I hold the accelerator pedal steady at a constant speed, the revs will suddenly drop, or the engine will suddenly seem to clog. The speed drops so I have to accelerate a bit to maintain my speed. When I press the accelerator, sometimes the car will shoot forward but sometimes nothing will happen, so I have to keep pressing until something works. It's almost as though it's mixing the air and fuel wrong and it's choking.

This happens when I pull away from a standing start. When I press the accelerator, sometimes the engine pulls well but mostly it does nothing, so I have to keep pressing. But even though I press the accelerator more and more, I don't get any more acceleration.

The engine seems to hesitate when cruising or accelerating as well. The engine light isn't showing. The dealership fixed the car a few weeks ago when the symptoms were much worse. The week after they did the repairs, the car ran fairly smoothly, but things are gradually worsening as time goes by.

4) Accelerator pedal

I can feel vibrations from the car through the accelerator pedal. For example, I had the wipers on this morning through heavy rain, and each time the wipers stated their cycle, I felt a thump through the pedal. I can also feel other vibrations, though not from the road. Is this something relatively small?

Any advice or comment greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Which engine?

How many miles?

Mike
B)

·
Registered
116 Posts
For #3, have you checked your throttle body and it's plate for corbon built-up? The plate may be sticking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What did the dealership do. It sounds like teh windshield wiper linkage is hitting the throttle cable. IF this is so then somebody has been rerouting intentionally or unintentionally and this can cause odd problems. As I doen't have a car this new I can't say what the routing problems might be.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealership also performed the stop lamp safety recall before the other repairs I mentioned. I don't remember if the pedal vibrations started as a result of this.

For #3, have you checked your throttle body and it's plate for corbon built-up? The plate may be sticking.
No; unfortunately this is way over my head! B)

im pretty sure your wheel covers have brake dust on 'em. And I think it'd be safe to assume that you need new brakes + rotors!
That's what I'm afraid.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I was driving out to look at a house this evening, and at 80km/h the front end started vibrating. After about 2-3 seconds, the engine light came on and power just dropped off. That was the first time that I didn't think I would reach my destination. Damn lemon.....

G

·
Originally posted by stodge@Jul 26 2004, 09:33 PM
So I was driving out to look at a house this evening, and at 80km/h the front end started vibrating. After about 2-3 seconds, the engine light came on and power just dropped off. That was the first time that I didn't think I would reach my destination. Damn lemon.....
I'd recommend you go get your engine codes read at AutoZone, that will tell you what error you are getting and make it easier to troubleshoot. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts