Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Check here for ODBII codes.

Looks like P0402 has to do with your EGR (P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected). You may need a new EGR.

JR

G

·
Take your car to the dealership and ask them to repair it under the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that is out for that. They should take care of it free of charge (I'm not sure if there's a mileage/age restriction or what it is though). If not, it's a pretty easy fix to do yourself. But they should fix it for free for you. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just come back from the dealer, it is not under coverage for my car anymore, they ckeck it with their instrument (much advanced than Autozone !), and it is the DPFE sensor failure. paid $103 dollars for the part (expensive stuff!!!), and......, I will do it and earn that $40 labor, I am pretty sure I can replace it in 10 min.

The original part is aluminium chase, but the new one they give to me is a black plastic, they told me the plastic one is better, any ideas? hope this will cure the SES (seem SOS to me) problem. I will let you guys know after two weeks.

Thank you guys, you are terrific

G

·
So was your car over the time or mileage or something? That should have been covered up until a certain time/mileage. But yes, it is an expensive part. Should be easy to replace from what I hear. Yes, the new ones are supposed to be an improved design to prevent failure again, so I would imagine the plastic is better. :) Hope the install goes well.

Glad we could help! B)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am living in TX, the warranty is only good for 3y/36K. In CA, emission system (including EGR related )is covered for 50K or something, I can not remember exactly. that is unfair!

Thanks

G

·
Originally posted by SE2000john@Sep 8 2004, 02:16 PM
I am living in TX, the warranty is only good for 3y/36K. In CA, emission system (including EGR related )is covered for 50K or something, I can not remember exactly. that is unfair!

Thanks
I was referring to the coverage under the Technical Service Bulletin. That is when they extend coverage on certain parts outside the warranty period because of known issues. That is the case with this. My car was out of the 3/36 warranty and it was covered under the Technical Service Bulletin. You may want to double check with the dealership on this. If they say it's not covered I would also call the Ford Customer Relationship Center and tell them about it and you may get reimbursed. Don't quote me on this, but I think the coverage for the problem you are having was extended to 6 years/75k miles. I went through this exact thing and they paid for mine and it happened at about 45k miles. Just a tip to possibly get your $100 back. Here is the contact info for Ford:

Ford Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Phone: 800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Hours of Operation:
8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET. (Monday-Friday)
9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. ET. (Saturday)

Hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
According to a bunch of past post's It was the DPFE sensor and ford had a 100K warranty according to all the past info that has went back and forth on this board.

Mike
B)

btw Ford quoted me $82.00 for the part

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I contacted Ford dealer and Ford company, unfortunatly, my car is not under the coverage of 02M01 program.

Put the sensor on was easy. the new sensor has a different design, one of the original vacuum tube on the Hi side was a little bit short, had to buy some vacuum tube from Autozone. have driven for two days, so far so good.

Thanks for all information and helps.

G

·
Sorry to hear that it wasn't covered. Wonder why? :headscratch: Oh well, at least the install went well and it wasn't anything major. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts