Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start with the simple things like new plugs and wires, what's a good brand of plug and plug wire?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm going to start with the simple things like new plugs and wires, what's a good brand of plug and plug wire?
[/b]
Autolite or Motorcraft.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope it's not the coil pack, those things are very expensive!

·
Registered
47 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Autolite or Motorcraft.
[/b][/quote]

I've used the Autolite and Borg Warner. The Borg Warner wires seem to "snap" on better than the Autolite. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I replaced the plugs today, and pulled the neg terminal for 30 minutes. so far so good :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that didn't last. It's back to the same thing although now the SES light will sometimes flash, what does that mean?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, that didn't last. It's back to the same thing although now the SES light will sometimes flash, what does that mean?
[/b]
Thats a serious misfire that can damage your cats...I think its called a type A misfire. Gotta get that fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Thats a serious misfire that can damage your cats...I think its called a type A misfire. Gotta get that fixed. [/b][/quote]

Yup, it means you're dumping fuel down the exhaust which overworks the cats and will cause them to fail early. Don't drive it like that. I'd go coil next.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got the new coil and wires on today, wadda ya know? good as new. however few hours later ses back on, this time it's the F*****g cat converter just like I was warned about. How long can it be driven like
this? It still runs great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I finally got the new coil and wires on today, wadda ya know? good as new. however few hours later ses back on, this time it's the F*****g cat converter just like I was warned about. How long can it be driven like
[/b]

what code did you get now.. you might not have fried the cat, clear the code reset the KAM and see if it comes back..

NEVER NEVER NEVER drive a car with a misfire.. if that check engine light is flashing tow it home.. now you know if you have this happen again to another car..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

what code did you get now.. you might not have fried the cat, clear the code reset the KAM and see if it comes back..

NEVER NEVER NEVER drive a car with a misfire.. if that check engine light is flashing tow it home.. now you know if you have this happen again to another car..
[/b][/quote]

I don't remember the exact code, but it was something along the lines of Catalyst Below Threshold. And this is a NEW code because I cleared the misfire on # 6 code before I changed the coil and plug wires. And I know I should not have been driving it like this but we had no choice. My other car's water pump just went kaput, now I'm trying to sell it.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Unless you drove for a while with the problem, it's probably a coincidence that the SES light is now on signaling a possible problem with the cats.

Probably not a problem with the cats, but with the O2 sensors that are used to monitor the preformance of the cats. With time and miles the O2 sensors become inaccurate, triggering the SES light for cats.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Unless you drove for a while with the problem, it's probably a coincidence that the SES light is now on signaling a possible problem with the cats.

Probably not a problem with the cats, but with the O2 sensors that are used to monitor the preformance of the cats. With time and miles the O2 sensors become inaccurate, triggering the SES light for cats.
[/b]
No, the catalytic sensors are rarely wrong. Still it could clear up. Keep an eye on fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
No, the catalytic sensors are rarely wrong. Still it could clear up. Keep an eye on fuel economy.
[/b][/quote]

^^^^^^^ +1

99% of the time a P0420/0430 are due to cat failure. Could be that that cat was almost about to set a code, and driving it with the missfire pushed it over the edge.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

^^^^^^^ +1

99% of the time a P0420/0430 are due to cat failure. Could be that that cat was almost about to set a code, and driving it with the missfire pushed it over the edge.
[/b][/quote]
:werd:
Clear the code and drive it, but if it comes back on with the same code, then you're gonna need a cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts