Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I havnt posted in awhile but Im still having problems with my taurus. I kinda let it sit for awhile because i was getting really frustrated.

Heres a link to my last posts:

2001 Ford Taurus misfiring, Stuttering, running crappy. HELP ME PLEASE!

2001 Taurus DOHC Misfiring & Running crappy DPFE Error code

Well so basically it was running really crappy and i couldnt pinpoint it out. But I have recently got the car almost 100 percent.

First I changed out the camshaft position sensor. This made it 100% better. second i changed the upstream 02 sensor on bank 1 (the rear one behind the engine up top).. This helped it run alot better too but didnt fix my code problem for bank 1 too lean.

I then drove it running kinda ****** for awhile until it started dying at stop lights. so I finally heard a small hissing sound and found a cracked vaccuum hose under the intake hole. It was so bad and dry rotted that it had a whole bunch of little holes all over it and when it got hot the vaccuum from the engine while giving throttle would cause it to collapse in on itself. which is part of the reason why i had no power when i floor it.

ok so i fixed them and deleted all the error codes. I been driving for 4 days now and check engine light is still off and it runs almost perfect.

it drives 100 percent when i drive normal but when i floor it it starts to bog a little bit like its losing power. I mean it moves but not like it should. Then all of a sudden my check engine light flashes indicating a misfire so i drove it until it stops flashing. The check engine light is still of by the way. I drove to my buddies and wanted to check the code to see what cylinder misfired. To my surprise i found it had three error codes. but keep in mind my check engione is still off so i think it must of only did these codes while i floor it. It also has an occasional hiccuup when im at a stop light. but usually only in drive and only after ive been driving around fast.:(

P0303 Cyinder 3 Misfire

P0174 Sytem Too Lean Bank 2

P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1

Any ideas on what is causing this. I will answer any questions right away but if you read my last posts you might be able to understand better on what i have all done to this car.

Please tell me my cats arent bad...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hear ya but... Its not supposed to do this so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this Sir.;)

Read my old posts Ive done alot to this car.B)

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Loss Power

I hear ya but... Its not supposed to do this so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this Sir.;)

Read my old posts Ive done alot to this car.B)
Loss of power/lean codes both banks. Loss of power at full throttle likely fuel pump/filter. Sounds like it just does not get enough fuel for full power.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Possibly another vacuum leak or dirty or faulty maf sensor. I would check/replace plug(s), wire(s) or coil for cylinder#3 misfire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so heres my diagnoses and im going to check tomorrow by replacing the fuel filter and regulator.

When i start it after its been sitting for a half hour or more it doesnt start right. I have to shut it off turn the key forward to hear the fuel pump engage then dhut it off then do it again. I guess i feel the pressure really makes a defference. I have been thinking something is weird with that. After i do this and start again it goes to its normal start operation. goes to about 1700 rpm then drops right away. if i just start it once and its doing its weird start, if i tryt to give it gas it just dies. then it will also try to rev at 2100 rpm all by itself and never drop.

second it runs perfect under average driving. like with traffic and stuff. if i try to punch it on an onramp or something it just bogs out. and it misfires if i put the throttle down to fast. like if im going 10 mph and floor it it will go bloop bloop bah bah then catch up with itself but if i ease the throttle it accelerates perfect.

so lets see im gonna change it tomorrow and drive around and repost.

fyi it has all four brand new 02 sensors. brand new plugs and wires and coil pack. all the intake seals are sealed perfect. there are no vaccuum leaks or intake leaks. only thing is i have no air filter in right now which i doubt would make it do what its doing, engine has 50k miles on it body and cats have 161k.

thanks chartmaker i should of done it before but your advice just really helped me make the decision. Im gonna be like wtf if it runs perfect tomorrow. lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly another vacuum leak or dirty or faulty maf sensor. I would check/replace plug(s), wire(s) or coil for cylinder#3 misfire.
If after i change the fuel filter and regulator it stil has a misfire i will check the plugs wires and fuel injector on cylinder three. ive benn getting cylinder three misfire for a little while no. im thinking its a plug that went bad because of the lean mixture but who knows. maybe i should do all six again. i prolly burnt em up driving it running funny. thanks for your advice sheila

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check engine light just turned on. about 180 miles driven after i deleted the data from the computer. havnt checked codes yet but i know those 3

P0303 Cyinder 3 Misfire

are still there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ok so I went out to start it and it did its funny start like its not getting enough fuel or something. i shut it down restarted. it did it again. i shut off one more time and let the fuel pump shut off before turning the key all the way. after three times it started the right way with a little hesittation but evened out after i drove like a block. I went and bought a fuel filter for 17 dollars. I drove it back home put the new fuel filter in after getting gas all over myself but i got it in with no leaking. I started it up. It is significantly better. I have not had any werid start yet and i dont think i will. its way way more responsive with no more hiccup while sitting at a stop light. but when i floored it ( iknow its not a race car lol) it misfired like crazy then the check engine light started flashing and it took about a minute of easy driving to even itself out and stop misfiring. I can feel it and it feels like its only one cylinder doing it. I believe probably cylinder three. I have a new plug and wire on that cylinder and the coil pack is new. so im stumped. COuld my plug have gone bad due to the lack of fuel? or something cuz its weird.
Basically if you test drove my car right now youd think nothing was wrong. it drive perfect at normal to a little faster than normal driving. but as soon as i floor it or push down on the pedal really fast it hesitates and has a misfire. but the misfire goes away after.
any ideas?
thanks again

im going to go and scan it again today to see if any more codes pop up ill let you know later this afternoon.

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Fuel Filter

ok so I went out to start it and it did its funny start like its not getting enough fuel or something. i shut it down restarted. it did it again. i shut off one more time and let the fuel pump shut off before turning the key all the way. after three times it started the right way with a little hesittation but evened out after i drove like a block. I went and bought a fuel filter for 17 dollars. I drove it back home put the new fuel filter in after getting gas all over myself but i got it in with no leaking. I started it up. It is significantly better. I have not had any werid start yet and i dont think i will. its way way more responsive with no more hiccup while sitting at a stop light. but when i floored it ( iknow its not a race car lol) it misfired like crazy then the check engine light started flashing and it took about a minute of easy driving to even itself out and stop misfiring. I can feel it and it feels like its only one cylinder doing it. I believe probably cylinder three. I have a new plug and wire on that cylinder and the coil pack is new. so im stumped. COuld my plug have gone bad due to the lack of fuel? or something cuz its weird.
Basically if you test drove my car right now youd think nothing was wrong. it drive perfect at normal to a little faster than normal driving. but as soon as i floor it or push down on the pedal really fast it hesitates and has a misfire. but the misfire goes away after.
any ideas?
thanks again

im going to go and scan it again today to see if any more codes pop up ill let you know later this afternoon.
If your fuel filter was plugged, then you must have some dirty gas. Likely your fuel pump in going out also. Full throttle is when it works hardest.

With a plugged fuel filter, the pump has been running against much resistance.

Just a thought.
ps My '01 DOHC with 111K has original filter and runs fine, even WOT.
Bout time for me to do a filter change. I would bleed the pressure down first and avoid the splash. And do it outside. Maybe do the '03 while I am into it. Did the PCV at 110K and it was over due. And the trans fluid and filter. Also a tad over due.
-chart-

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
ok so heres my diagnoses and im going to check tomorrow by replacing the fuel filter and regulator.

When i start it after its been sitting for a half hour or more it doesnt start right. I have to shut it off turn the key forward to hear the fuel pump engage then dhut it off then do it again. I guess i feel the pressure really makes a defference. I have been thinking something is weird with that. After i do this and start again it goes to its normal start operation. goes to about 1700 rpm then drops right away. if i just start it once and its doing its weird start, if i tryt to give it gas it just dies. then it will also try to rev at 2100 rpm all by itself and never drop.

second it runs perfect under average driving. like with traffic and stuff. if i try to punch it on an onramp or something it just bogs out. and it misfires if i put the throttle down to fast. like if im going 10 mph and floor it it will go bloop bloop bah bah then catch up with itself but if i ease the throttle it accelerates perfect.

so lets see im gonna change it tomorrow and drive around and repost.

fyi it has all four brand new 02 sensors. brand new plugs and wires and coil pack. all the intake seals are sealed perfect. there are no vaccuum leaks or intake leaks. only thing is i have no air filter in right now which i doubt would make it do what its doing, engine has 50k miles on it body and cats have 161k.

thanks chartmaker i should of done it before but your advice just really helped me make the decision. Im gonna be like wtf if it runs perfect tomorrow. lol
I notice you said in this post that you've been running around without an air filter & if so, the MAF sensor is likely dirty & it's PID output to the computer is corrupt about true airflow into the engine. This dirt on the MAF sensors heated element will cause it to send the computer bad info about true airflow into the engine & the computer to miscalculate how much on squirt time to send to the fuel injectors, so the air/fuel ratio gets messed up, all a vicious circle.

SO, get a Motorcraft air filter installed. Then pull the battery B- cable to wipe the computers KAM & corrupt fuel trim tables, then remove the MAF sensor, let it cool down & clean it as chartmaker suggested. Do it with a non residual spray cleaner like CRC or Valvolene MAF sensor cleaner, or a like non residual product that says it's formulated just for cleaning the MAF sensor.
Don't poke the sensors elements with the spray wand, keep it squeeky clean on installation.

Reattach the battery B- cable & do the computer cold & warm idle relearn proceedure & let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm...:mellow: I could of sworn I wrote a reply today and posted it. That's weird. Well anyway I'll write it again.
So basically it's 100 percent better since I changed the fuel filter this morning.:) So far today I havn't had a weird start once since I changed it but I'll have to wait until the morning.
It still has a hesitation when pushing on the pedal to hard but runs perfect if driven normal.
When I floor it it just doesnt have it's full power and when at about 4500 rpm, at about 45 miles per hour, while floored, it will start losing power and then I will get a flashing check engine light indicating a misfire. I can feel the misfire and it will continue to misfire for about 10-30 seconds then it will even out and start running perfect again.

I checked the codes again a couple hours ago and it was still the three:
P0303 Cyinder 3 Misfire:angry:

That's good I guess. Im not getting the catalyst below threshold anymore.:D
I deleted the dtc data and freeze frame data so the check engine light is off again. Im hoping it will turn back on within two days and give me codes. I just want to see if the lean mix codes will come back (P0171 & P0174). I don't think they will. But I'm still geting a misfire at full throttle so I'm pretty sure the cylinder three misfire code will come back. I've been having this for a little while now. The same one.

It has a new spark plug (1 month old), a new wire and a pretty new coil pack (less than 500 miles on it). So I'm wondering why it's misfiring?:huh::unsure:
:05:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok wow now i can see my old post. I feel like a terd now.

So yeah i have no air filter im sure its dirty. I will do exactll as you say.

How do I do a cold and warm re-learn procedure?

I hope my fuel pump isnt going. I think its fine but im just hoping this.:)

But.. any fuel trim wrong wouldnt just make cylinder three misfire. Right?
it would more than one cylinder? I dont know. Im listening to you guys from now on though. These mechanics around here know as much as me which isnt much.

Well I guess I just gotta wait till after the weekend. Its driving fine right now. So whenever the cel comes back ill grab the codes and repost.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You may have more than one problem.

Deal first with what you know is wrong, like driving around without an air filter in place.

A dirty MAF sensor can cause lean codes & driveability problems like your reporting.

Disconnect the battery B- cable to wipe the corrupt fuel trim tables a dirty MAF sensor can build, then properly clean the MAF sensor with the correct product as posted.

Then do the cold & warm idle relearn proceedure described here & see how it goes.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1358165-post4.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I will do. Ill clean the maf like you say with maf cleaner and then clear the codes. i will probably do it sunday or monday. I have a busy next few days. and since its running good I can postpone it for once. ah i really missed driving this thing.

ill repost with anything new and respond to any questions. thanks

btw paw paw i also have a ranger i drive everyday. A beasty 94 4.0 with the towing package. sucks its not 4 wheel drive tho
I just put headman headers on and straight pipes with glass packs. its really quick. actually sittin right now due to a power steering return line leak. just been lazy to fix it lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I just noticed the cel came on. this time right away. I babied it last time and it didnt turn on till i gunned it to get the misfire. I think if i reset it again and just baby it until it finishes its readiness monitors i can probably pass emissions. Well it still doing this werid start thing. I let it sit for more than 2 hours and go out to start it and the first time it starts it revs up to 2100 and stays there. then if i put it in reverse or drive it will start shaking and putting like crazy. sometimes even die. if i try to give it any gas it will die. If i have it in park or nuetral it will rev to 2100 and stay there and never drop down. if i give it any gas while its doing this it will die. like giving it gas is holding down the kill switch. you know like on a weedwacker. its weird here i recorded it in hd. heres a link to youtube.

If i shut it off and restart the engine it usually starts the right way. only does it after its been sitting for about two hours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does anybody know what would cause the engine to do this funny start? any ideas.

I dunno i bought the reccomended ones from auto zone as far as the plugs and wires. i think duralast or something. and ngk r plugs that are gapped properly.

the car runs perfect when driving normal. no misfire no hesitation. but as soon as i floor it it hessitates bogs and starts misfiring for a minute.

oh i also found another code.

p0420 catalyst bank 1 efficiency below threshold.

could this be because of my problem or is this the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im so frustrated with this f ing car. I have literally put over 5000 into it since the engine took a crap. every time i fix something theres something else wrong. this engine has probably 55000 miles on it. so i know its not the engine. what is causing my emission problem? ive been to 3 shops and none of them can diagnose the problem. they keep telling me its gonna be 55 dollars an hour for diagnoses and it could take 5-10 hours to figure out. im not paying someone a stack to tell me whats wrong. im so pissed. can somebody please help me figure this out.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i would check the tb and see if it is sticking. with no filter in you are getting to much air flow for one and letting all the crap go into your intake. then i would check the tps. also put the parking brake on and start the car in nuetral and see if it still has the same problem. it is possible that the number 3 injector is bad. check the fuel rail pressure and do a leak down test.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Have you done All of the things suggested in post #14????

1 - 20 of 38 Posts