Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You have two options. 1- unplug the ground from the battery (black cable) and wait 5 minutes before re-attaching. 2- Go to Autozone and get the codes read, then get the tech to clear the codes from your computer.

I strongly suggest option 2 though. You need to know why your computer is throwing codes and fix it. You won't pass inspection with a SES light on...at least not in NJ.

JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i could just go to autozone, go to the counter, and ask them to check the code for free?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Yep...most (if not all) Autozone's will read and clear your codes for free. It takes them all of about 5 minutes to get their rear ends in gear, get the ODB-II code reader, walk out to your car, hook it up, check the codes, clear them, and walk back inside.

JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure if fords work like this, but i know in my acura that light will come on when the car is due for an oil change...does it work the same way in a taurus? once the oil is changed, there is something you have to do to clear it away. are there any common problems associated with this light coming on, or is it usually something major?

·
Registered
359 Posts
No, the SES light does not function as a service reminder. Typically, the computer has detected a problem at one of the bazillion sensors in the vehicle. If you have not noticed the car running badly, it is likely something to do with the EGR system (a common problem on the Taurus), or perhaps an oxygen sensor. These problems are usually fairly simple and relatively inexpensive to correct yourself, but you'll need the code to fix it. Be sure to write it down and you can bring it back to us and post and we can assist you further from there.

Welcome to the club! :chili:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks alot for the help. ill get the code pulled and bring it back here, and hopefully its something ill be able to fix myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the above, too. I do disconnect my battery ground and clear it once. If it comes back then it's off to Autozone. They checked the code on my previous car, a '96 Vulcan with about 130,000 miles. Handed me a slip of paper with the code and what was wrong and the part required to fix it, if I recall. It was a "Downstream" O2 Sensor. The guy at Autozone said he'd sell me one for whatever it was..... $60? And also lend the O2 Sensor socket. But also said some people pull them and clean them like you do a spark plug. I put the car up on my little $20 14" ramps and pulled the sensor. Cleaned it with wire brush. Reset the "Check Engine Light" and it never came on again. Sold the car with 146,000 miles.

Go get the sensor read at Autozone. Come back to this board and someone can help you with the result if you need it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, and to add to the above EGR is a common problem w/
taurus, i had the same lite come on, it was EGR,, i took it off,
cleaned it, but you should use a new gasket (a whole $2) and put
it back on, fixed. i did need a deep socket 10mm for that one.
another time my lite was cleared by installing a new gas cap.
hc dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts