1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Have a 1999 Taurus, Duratec engine,

Yesterday, i had a mistery Service Engine Light,

By Mistery, i mean, i drove appx 350 K on the highway, No Light

Once i reached my Destionation City(dropping someone off, and site seeing), after about 50K city driving. i got a service engine soon light apear, checked oil/coolant/tranny and powerstearing fluids all was fine, decided to drive it back home,

After about 100K on the highway, it disapeared, nothing else light up the rest of the way except the normal(car has had a constant low coolant light, and airbag light since i purchased it, and thats expected(been in a front end collison in the past))

Any Idea's what caused the light, Can i still read it with a codereader even though the light is off now

Omega8c
Note - The former owner warned me that the Service Engine Light would be on indefently because of a failed o2 sensor, but i have never seen it, since i owned the car(although the battury was dead when it was towed here, and i dont know how long it didnt have any power, could this just be a rehash of that, but if its an o2 sensor would it clear itself, or is there something wrong with a computer someware

i did get about 28MPG(worked it out) for the trip, running regular fuel

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It's possible that the engine light came on due to the O2 sensor if the problem was never addressed by the previous owner. Either way you still need to get the code read to find out the reason it came on. Even witht he light out, the code will still be in the history.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible that the engine light came on due to the O2 sensor if the problem was never addressed by the previous owner. Either way you still need to get the code read to find out the reason it came on. Even witht he light out, the code will still be in the history.
[/b]
k thanks, wasnt sure if it stored it in history,

and no the owner previous owner never fixed the o2 sensor, just cleared the code before etests...
it was O2 Sensor 2nd Bank, Too Lean .. if i remember correctly, might of been 1st bank

wasnt sure if the code would still show up ... since the light went out

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Some intermittent failures (like cylinder misfiring) can reset the SES light. That does not mean that the problem has gone, it just means that the problem is intermittent, and you need to get the code/s read to see what the problem is to correct it/them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts