Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing PM on my father's 2002 Vulcan 3.0 Taurus when he mentioned a fan-belt like squeal on turning right. The belt is relatively new - when I checked on it I found that the belt is rubbing against the block, and it is placed on the pulleys correctly. I have a picture - it is the polished area below the bolt head in the picture. Any idea what is causing the lack of clearance? The belt is correct for the car. I also noticed more movement of the motor than I would have liked on shifting from park/drive...are motor mounts the culprit? If so how do I check that, and is replacement a complete pain? Thanks...
Jim

Attachments

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I was doing PM on my father's 2002 Vulcan 3.0 Taurus when he mentioned a fan-belt like squeal on turning right. The belt is relatively new - when I checked on it I found that the belt is rubbing against the block, and it is placed on the pulleys correctly. I have a picture - it is the polished area below the bolt head in the picture. Any idea what is causing the lack of clearance? The belt is correct for the car. I also noticed more movement of the motor than I would have liked on shifting from park/drive...are motor mounts the culprit? If so how do I check that, and is replacement a complete pain? Thanks...
Jim
When did they change the belts on the Taurus from a 99? From what I see, you have it installed wrong, the belt is on the idler pulley backwards, you need to make the part that rubs go down and around the idler and up to the alt from the back. So, from the steering pump, to the idler then the alt, not from the steering pump, to the alt, to the idler. Hope that makes sense.

Could be wrong, hope this helps.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
No its on right the smooth side of the belt i meshing with the smooth idler pulley wheel as far as I can see.

I'm pretty sure that's how it needs to go.

That's the engine, I don't see the belt going up and over like his. Sorry about the small text in the image.

Edit: here's the diagram I made:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would remove the serpentine belt and check the bearings on each pulley that the belt goes around. I recently had a similar experience with the serpentine belt on a 1988 F-150 and come to find out the bearing was out(very loose) on the water pump. No the water pump didn't leak. This may not be your problem, but it's the first thing I would check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts