Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is going in to get some AC work done. Serpentine belt has to come off for that job. Belt was replaced on my car August 15, 2007 @ 102K miles. I'm at 119,250 right now.

Should I go ahead and have a new one put on (I'm supplying the parts)? If so should I use Motorcraft or Goodyear Gatorback? How often should a serpentine belt be changed on a Duratec? Any specific mileage/timing? There's no mention of it in the scheduled maintenance guide, except to inspect it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was just thinking about that too since my belt is off right now. Similar mileage on it. I'm thinking if you have a spare and the tools/ability to change it on the road, let it ride. If not, change it and carry the old one with you as a spare.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If the belt's in good shape with no fraying, cracks, or worn-looking areas, I'd leave it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Took me 2 hours to put on my serpentine belt on my duratec. There is almost no clearance because of the chassis. had to remove the tire and wheel cover to access the tensioner with a curved 15mm wrench. i had my father help me with this issue.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
As long as it is not slipping and there are no chunks missing on the ribs it is OK. Do not worry about the ribs getting cracks on them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Its a good idea to mark the direction the belt runs and put it back running the same direction. If you didn't mark it you might also want to replace it while its off anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just My 2 cents, but they are very easy to change so why not just change it since you do have it off and throw the old one in the trunk as a spare? Better safe than sorry B)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts