Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in need of replacing the serpentine belt tensioner assembly on my 1999 Taurus 3.0 DOHC Duratec. What type/size of bit would I need to remove the tensioner retaining bolt? Also, what about torque requirements? I just wanted to get myself prepaired with the right tools.

Thanks in advance,
Doug :D

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I always try different sockets until I find one that fits. HINT: it probably is metric (XX mm).

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
If I remember correctly the tensioner bolt is like a T45 bit unless it is different from the OHV Taurus. Mine broke off WHILE driving for no obvious reason, and I had to go get a new tensioner which LUCKILY came with a new bolt and replace it on the side of the road. I never did fine the old tensioner, it slung it completely out of the car to God knows where.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If I remember correctly the tensioner bolt is like a T45 bit unless it is different from the OHV Taurus. Mine broke off WHILE driving for no obvious reason, and I had to go get a new tensioner which LUCKILY came with a new bolt and replace it on the side of the road. I never did fine the old tensioner, it slung it completely out of the car to God knows where.
I just changed mine out about 2 months ago. I actually believe it was a Torx 50. You will need something narrow to get in there to actually remove it though.

Good luck!

Btw, this was done on an OHV 2001 Bull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts