Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the serpentine belt on the Duratec. Not a lot of room there. After searching I read about the rag trick.
It works. I used an old towel ( now a rag) and it worked like a charm. New serpentine belt installed with only a rag.

Less than 5 minutes to get it off 10 to get the new one back on. Routing takes a little time and patience. One Miller Lite.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What is the trick, I could not find it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
On the DOHC, you slip a heavy duty rag behind the power steering pump, close to the firewall, pull up towards the hood and you can slip the belt off.

Same procedure for reinstall.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Will work on most motors with serpentine belts. Have used on Vulcan, F150, Chrysler Caravan, Chevy Lumina, Buick Regal and on~~

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, kudos to the OP on this excellent mechanic's trick !

Here's a YouTube link where "nbpt1000" shows how it's done :
Btw, he does have the integrity to mention that TCCA is his the source of the trick. Honorable Mention to him for this video.

With the addition of my own little trick, I was able to do this by myself in less than 10 minutes: The YouTube author discusses that the hardest part is getting the new belt installed around the lower pulleys. He suggests to get under the vehicle where you can get the belt on the lower pulleys and hold them there, while your helper works the belt onto the upper pulleys. I did it all from the top using an old 3/8 diameter flag pole stick to move/push the belt where it should be. Here's my tool kit for the job:
http://1drv.ms/1clRwNl
Btw, that SkyDrive/OneDrive link is case sensitive.
Btw, that's the belt where there's A/C installed.
Btw, I used an old sock cut down the middle. It was super strong and thin enough when cut in half lengthwise.

Heads-up : I cut the old belt to get it off quicker. If you're not absolutely certain that you have the correct new belt, you might want to preserve the old belt just in case you need to put it back on.

Regards . . .
Brcobrem

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Yep, kudos to the OP on this excellent mechanic's trick !

Here's a YouTube link where "nbpt1000" shows how it's done :
Serpentine Belt removal using a rag- Duratec Engine - YouTube
Btw, he does have the integrity to mention that TCCA is his the source of the trick. Honorable Mention to him for this video.

With the addition of my own little trick, I was able to do this by myself in less than 10 minutes: The YouTube author discusses that the hardest part is getting the new belt installed around the lower pulleys. He suggests to get under the vehicle where you can get the belt on the lower pulleys and hold them there, while your helper works the belt onto the upper pulleys. I did it all from the top using an old 3/8 diameter flag pole stick to move/push the belt where it should be. Here's my tool kit for the job:
http://1drv.ms/1clRwNl
Btw, that SkyDrive/OneDrive link is case sensitive.
Btw, that's the belt where there's A/C installed.
Btw, I used an old sock cut down the middle. It was super strong and thin enough when cut in half lengthwise.

Heads-up : I cut the old belt to get it off quicker. If you're not absolutely certain that you have the correct new belt, you might want to preserve the old belt just in case you need to put it back on.

Regards . . .
Brcobrem
I found 2" wide good quality maskint tape and tape the belt to the bottom pulleys holds them in the groove until the top pulley get's it's belt. If you for get to remove the tape, no harm.

I used this in the Lin Cont which has 7 pulleys. You get one from the bottom, two through the wheel well and the rest from the top. The tape takes the place of 2 helpers.

-chart-

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went so far as to borrow (100% refundable deposit) the serpentine belt tool from Autozone, but unless I'm a complete idiot (definite possibility) it doesn't come with the correct size crow's foot attachment that would enable its use in a 2001 Taurus with 3.0L V6 Duratec engine. It did come with the correct size socket, but there is not enough space to get the socket on the tensioner. So a shop rag it is!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I used the tool on my 2000, works fine. It's a short socket on the end and works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had to laugh @ this.
That's the lazy mans way,to each his own.
I simply removed my power steering pump reservoir and set it aside with a coat hanger(take care not to spill fluid,keep it upright),Then proceeded to replace belt by myself using a 5/8" OD piece of pipe to install the new belt.
Took me 15 mins.And,that was taking my time.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I can do it in less than 5 min with the tool from AutoZone. What's your point? You like to do more work than necessary ;-) (just playing around here/picking on you).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts