Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, folks. The A/C compressor seized on my daughters 2002 Ford Taurus with the 3.0L V6 OHV U serial number engine. I've got one on order to replace it and that's all fine. The serpentine belt broke when the compressor went, so I went to order a new one and three different parts dealers are quoting an 85.4" belt (6PK2170) as the OEM replacement. But the broken belt measure only 79". I've tried both the recommended 85.4" (6PK2170) and an 81.5" (6PK2070) with the old compressor in place, but they are both too long. Nothing is being bypassed. So, it appears I really do need a 79" belt. Any ideas what's going on and which one I should order?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm familiar with the belt routing. When I replaced the alternator last year the local O'reilly Auto Parts sold me two bad alternators in a row, so I had to change it out three times before I got a working one in there. I got pretty good at taking it on and off.

Not sure what the issue is, but the broken ends of the belt match up cleanly, so there is no missing length. And it measures 79". And an 81" was too long. I'm flabbergasted.

We did buy the car used several years ago. All I can think is that maybe there is a non-oem part in there with a smaller pulley? I'm grasping at straws. Guess I'll put her back together and see what fits, double checking, again, that I'm not missing anything.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts