Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I've read a lot here, but this is my first post. I'm shooting in the dark here, and looking for an experienced opinion.

My 2000 Taurus is pukes nearly all of it's transmission fluid when I get into a bumper-to-bumper traffic situation on a hot day. It never leaks a drop any other time but when I'm stuck in traffic for a while, the fluid pours out really fast and I have to try and get off the road before the car eventually fails to move forward! (Then I'll let it cool & walk with my Garmin to an auto store to buy fluid and it's fine!)

I saw you guys had discussion on the atx vent, and my dealer is getting me a copy of the TSB. I have a vent on order.. I feel like it's a smart thing to swap out, but it doesn't seem like I could puke this much fluid out the dipstick as a result of a clogged vent. (?)

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=51551
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry558663

My mechanic friend thinks it's the front atx seal, and my muffler shop friend thinks I need a really good flush & clean to clear my cooler lines. I feel the front seal would leak regardless of temperature, and I might spent the $100 for the flush.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
It is probably the seal on the torque converter (front ATX seal). The seals leak only when the pressure gets high enough when they start to go bad, hence why when it is hot it leaks and when it is cool it doesn't.

Never power flush your transmission. If you power flush that transmission go ahead and starting saving ~1500-2000 for a new transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a hard time telling where the leak comes from because it's always really hot and on the side of the road when it's leaking. I cleaned it all down once and tried to replicate it without conclusive results.. I suspect the fluid is leaking at the seal but I haven't proved it yet. Can a clogged vent increase the pressure and cause a leak at the atx seal or am I being wishful?

Front ATX seal has got to be a big (expensive) job right? It sounds like a job for an expert.

Thanks 2000 sable, even if it is bad news. I feel the same about the flush, but if the seal replacement is really expensive I might gamble. My mechanic says it's over $1000 for the seal, so why not roll the dice on the flush? I guess they put an additive in that will swell the seal and it will help some. It's such a nice car, aside from this.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Is it leaking from the Torque Converter seal or the dipstick tube?
It can be hard to tell the difference. One way to tell the difference is to arrange a rag to catch the ATF at the vent tube. If it is soaked appropriately for the leakage, you know it's the tube. If it isn't soaked and you've lost a two quarts you know it's not the tube.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I have a hard time telling where the leak comes from because it's always really hot and on the side of the road when it's leaking. I cleaned it all down once and tried to replicate it without conclusive results.. I suspect the fluid is leaking at the seal but I haven't proved it yet. Can a clogged vent increase the pressure and cause a leak at the atx seal or am I being wishful?

Front ATX seal has got to be a big (expensive) job right? It sounds like a job for an expert.

Thanks 2000 sable, even if it is bad news. I feel the same about the flush, but if the seal replacement is really expensive I might gamble. My mechanic says it's over $1000 for the seal, so why not roll the dice on the flush? I guess they put an additive in that will swell the seal and it will help some. It's such a nice car, aside from this.
Just the seal is about $400.

Depending on your financial situation you may chose to spend more now on other preventative maintenance for the transmission but if you can't afford the "that'd be nice' things" you'll be better off fixing the leak than waiting for a failure and fixing more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy crap, egiroix! That was a lot of work you did!! They look like useful pictures and notes, thanks for taking the time to pull that together.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If money is tight, you could do the tranny fluid pump out & filter replacement yourself for about $50, which the tranny flush service doesn't include & they charge about $50 more if you want the filter replaced too.Check this forums "sticky" for SHOZ123's easy way to do a tranny fluid pumpout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts