Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was backing up and I ran over the curb on one of those stupid parking islands in the middle of parking lots. I couldn't have hit it at more than 5 MPH. Well, I put it "drive" and parked the car and checked to see if there was any damage. I don't know if I broke anything because it doesn't seem like anything is broken. Do you guys think I broke anything? I'm going to assume that if the tire didn't explode on impact, then everything's fine. I don't know if it did cause anything or it's all in my head that the car's vibrating a little more than usual. But on the other hand, it is a 10 y/o car and it has been vibrating. Ok, now it seems like I'm ranting so I'll end my post now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We have a 87 Mercedes and it was doing the same thing. Check the alignment and the wheel balance. That was the problem on the benz.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
have the allignment checked and tires balanced...check your tires for "bubbles" on the sidewalls. I drove over an island at my local walmart mall going 45mph and i didnt do anything to my car (the lighting on the sams club side is very poor at night and i was half asleep :p )

·
Registered
397 Posts
After even a slight accident, your awareness of ANY thing your car does will shoot thru the roof.

Aside from the alignment, maybe look over the height of each wheel, see if the height has changed.

If nothing else acts up, just be more careful and try not to worry about it.

Keep in mind the suspention is there for this type of thing. On our bulls, they have 4 wheel independent.

Also, MAYBE check the area in the center of the rear axle to see if anything dislodged.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Be carefull that the tire doesnt develop a "knot", or sometimes called a bubble. It will get worse, causing major vibration that will make you think its out of ballance, until eventually blowing out, possibly causing injury or death (like my Owners Manual lingo? LOL).

I'd suggest that you take it to a tire shop and ask them to check it out. They can put it on a machiene and check to make sure the tire is fine and the wheel isnt bent. They can also advise you on how to go about repairing it, if a repair is required. Good luck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by johntaurus@Aug 9 2004, 02:19 AM
until eventually blowing out, possibly causing injury or death (like my Owners Manual lingo? LOL).

:D sounds like something right out of an owners guide

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. I need an alignment anyways (I have to keep the wheel a few degrees to the left to go straight).

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 9 2004, 08:34 PM
I have to keep the wheel a few degrees to the left to go straight.
Welcome to the club, my '93 does that too. I'm waiting for the money to replace the front struts and strut mounts though, an alignment is necessary when this procedure is done.

I notice that now that I replaced my wheels and tires, the wheel is increadibly steady from 0-100+ MPH, very little vibration. Something for you to considor.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Does it bounce a lot after encountering a bump? Thats the main way to tell. Go to each corner of the car, push down on it and get it to bouncing pretty good then let go and stand back, see how long it takes to quit bouncing. The longer it takes to calm down and quit bouncing around, the worse the shocks are.

I dont see how they'd cause the vibration, I was thinking perhaps the wheels/tires are at fault there.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They don't bounce, but I figure it looks a little front heavy and it bottoms out on speed bumps (and I go over them slow). I was figuring they were probably causing the alignment, not the vibration. I need new tires too. Heh, I think I might leave it alone for a while since it'd cost a ton of money to get everything fixed.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I know how you feel. I would have liked to have gotton brand new Good Years when I got my new wheels, but these Michlens are better than I expected and at least I dont have to worry about wearing out $400 worth of tires in six months due to a bad alignment.

The car will naturally sit a little lower in the front because the weight of the engine/transaxel is in the front. I usually carry a full size spare, a bunch of tools, and the occassional auto or truck part in the trunk, so my car looks low on both ends LOL. I have actually been asked if the car was lowered. :unsure: I'm not sure thats a complement or a diss, but I smiled and said "no". LOL.

I need new tires but first I need an alignment. Before the alignment, I need front struts. Before the struts (or at the same time), I need strut mounts. Its like building a house: you cant start with the roof, you have to pour the foundation first. When money's tight like it is with me right now, I have to make due and hope nothing major fails before I get back on my feet. Hard to believe a couple years ago I was rolling a '99 Acura GS-R, a '92 Tempo LX in showroom condition, and I had a fleet of older Tempos and Taurus' on the back burner. Funny, the tricks life plays on ya. Yes, I'm ranting. Yes, it feels good. Yes, I'm done. :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, one time I loaded 5 kids (my sisters and my cousins) into my car (yes, one of them drew the short straw and sat in the middle front). The top of the rear wheel opening dropped down to the same level as the top of the rim. :lol2: The car still pulled strong!

I'll probably end up getting everything done at once in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
hey I'll just throw this out there but I work at goodyear and I will do what I can to keep the ford community rolling. just tell me how much you want to spend SIZE (there are 3 numbers ex. 215/60/16 ;) ) and purpus... oh and rough location might help as I can usually transfer the sale from the store I work at and you can pick them up localy (no shipping)

by purpus I mean what do you need them to do for you, summer/ high dry traction or all season, or maby even snows. just trying to save you guys some money. contact me if your interested.

*note* I don't make any money I just like helping forum members*

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not that i need new tires, but just in case, how much can you get some 225/40 18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, or even some Eagle F1 Fioranos.

Now that i think about it, does goodyear make winter tires, if so i need some 205/65 15s for my factory wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
your car sit as high as most sables i see around town.

Five people is easy when you got a bench seat. Try 5 in a grand am and a full tank of gas. 1 up front 3 in the back and another sitting across the three in the back.
let do some math
gas is 8.33 pounds a gallon there was 14 gallons in the tank so the was 117 pounds, 6 people that around 1070 pounds. around about 60pounds of stuff in the trunk, that comes to a grand total of 1247 pounds. The 2.4 twincam also still pull hard :banana: Got in the insterstate and it was running out of steam around 65 :( but i got it up to 80 after a minute or two.

When my friend had his 91 sable running he had 7 people in the wagon. the aroun about 1580 pounds. The only real problem was stoping

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stopping's not too bad because I've got 4-wheel disc brakes. It's the turns that get me. Sometimes when I'm carpooling, I forget to slow down sooner and it ends up leaning pretty hard in the turns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts