Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, another one of these threads about upgrading the audio with minimal initial direction. I'm looking to replace the head unit, the speakers (this is easy for me, but advice here would be nice as well), and install a sub... or two. My problem, as its been called here, is that i have the "oval of death" in my '97. Have any of you found a clean solution to this? I found a replacement oval with a hole for a CD player (link below) as well as a completely hidden receiver/amp unit from Custom Autosounds. Unfortunately, that unit is a 4x50 and my car has 6 speakers... The panel replacement could be useful if there's a small enough head unit to fit in there.

As for the subs, i have fold-down rear seats and like my cargo room, so a 1'X1'X2' box isnt an option. I DO have the 6x9 hole stamped out of the rear deck along with 4 screw holes, but i think its rather... ineffective. I'm thinking about mounting a bazooka to the underside of the deck so its somewhat out of the way. Bazooka Audio has straps that are supposed to allow for fast removal.

Summed up, i'm looking for an ipod connection, better head unit, at least one sub, and CD changer. Rigth now i'm looking for advice, tips, suggestions, recommendations, whatever, from experience. Cost isn't really a limit since i can't do everything at once, anyway. although I'm looking in the under $1000 range, i guess. Sorry this is a lengthy-but-still-vague thread... but i'm kinda aimless. :(

Oh and i did look through several pages of threads in this section, but didn't come up with much... i still expect to be flamed a bit >_>

Replacement face w/ cutout
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Co...sid/0/SFV/30046

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
First of, do you have the manual oval climate control or the electronic climate control? If you have the manual climate control that kit is what you need and dont bother with a 6X9 subwoofer in the center deck if you're upgrading all the speakers; I would go with two 10's or 12's in a custom box. On the other hand if you have the digital climate control don't bother with that kit unless you find a way to convert the digital climate control to manual (I have never heard of anybody being able to do it) there's to options if you have the digital climate control but both require custom fabricating. First: many people install their radio in the ashtray place and run new cables for speaker or use the wiring from the metra kit. Second: A few people have made custom electronic climate controls in place of the oval radio to acomodate an aftermarket cd player ( I am one of those few). If you want to see pics look the tread for: Custom Radio EATC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha sorry, I thought it was implied I have the dials. But yes, I do. As i said in the first post, though, was that I don't want a large thumpbox in the trunk because I like the amount of space in there with the fold down rear seats. So I'm pretty set on bazooka tubes, which are supposed to actually give a cleaner bass anyway, as well as easier removal. How did people fit the units in the ashtray? The pop down door with the lighter, right? Seems kinda small...

·
Registered
5 Posts
That dash kit works great.I just installed the same thing in my 99 a couple of days ago.The only gripe I have about it is that the backlighting for the climate controls is on all the time which i plan on changing by tapping into the factory circuit as soon as I get a chance.Seems as though they just hooked the backlights up to the switched ignition power on my kit. Don't buy the kit from that place though. I got mine from a guy named hwy386 on ebay for 50 dollars shipped. Not a super hard install at all. I know you don't want to give up much space but i really think two sealed tens or a sealed twelve would be a better route than the bazooka tube. You won't need to use much space at all to get two tens or a twelve going.If you did it right you could probably get a twelve in the proper airspace massaged into one of the back corners of the trunk while leaving almost all of your cargo space. By the time you mount that bazooka tube to the rear deck it will still occupy a fair amount of space.It will hang down far enough to where you would have trouble using the space underneath it anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Upgrading to a mach amp with upgrade speakers would be a start (80 watts vs 12 watts).
PM sent. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my dad says the four speakers up front are only two channels, as in the front right speaker and tweeter are one unit and need only one output from the head unit. is this true? He's quite experienced with audio, but I'd just like to check. If it is, that means i have a 4 channel stereo and most of my problems are solved... for now. Then i'll go with the SecretAudio SST

·
Registered
367 Posts
Correct the tweeters are on the front Left and right channels along with the 6x8's. If you want some serious thump for cheap pick up a type-r for around $130 and get yourself a custom box ported with the specs of 2 cubic feet with the tuning frequency at 32hz. For the amp pick up an Alpine mrp-m500 or a hifonics 1210d

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (73torquer429 @ Jul 8 2009, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738038
my dad says the four speakers up front are only two channels, as in the front right speaker and tweeter are one unit and need only one output from the head unit. is this true? He's quite experienced with audio, but I'd just like to check. If it is, that means i have a 4 channel stereo and most of my problems are solved... for now. Then i'll go with the SecretAudio SST[/b]
Yeah, it uses a "Divided Crossover" Which divides the Tweeter signals (high fq) and the midrange (mid-low fq) and sends them to the tweeter and woofer.

All tauri are 4ch :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The whole car is 2 channels (left and right). Stereo sound from AM/FM/Cassette/CD/MP3 only has 2 channels.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 9 2009, 12:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738112
The whole car is 2 channels (left and right). Stereo sound from AM/FM/Cassette/CD/MP3 only has 2 channels.[/b]
I figured 4ch meant

Front left
Front right
Back left
Back right?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The original source of the music is 2 channels so the FL and RL will both play the left channel while the FR and RR will both play the right channel. If you had like a fancy head unit that can play 5.1 stereo, then you could get the individual FL, FR, RL, and RR channels if the original source media was recorded with the separate channels.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
QUOTE (adio @ Jul 8 2009, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738054
Correct the tweeters are on the front Left and right channels along with the 6x8's. If you want some serious thump for cheap pick up a type-r for around $130 and get yourself a custom box ported with the specs of 2 cubic feet with the tuning frequency at 32hz. For the amp pick up an Alpine mrp-m500 or a hifonics 1210d[/b]

You must have missed the OP's original post where he stated he did not want a sub box.

·
Registered
190 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 9 2009, 12:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738112
The whole car is 2 channels (left and right). Stereo sound from AM/FM/Cassette/CD/MP3 only has 2 channels.[/b]
There are four separate channels of amplification, but only 2 channels of source material. You can set balance side to side and front to back.

My JBL has a subwoofer, and I replaced the factory paper cone crap with a serious 6x9 with long throw woofer, and it sounds great. It's actually a 4-way speaker, but since there's no highs the other speakers don't make any sound. That's a lot cheaper than trying to find a 6x9 subwoofer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts