Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '02 Taurus threw us another curve yesterday. My wife called from town (about 25 miles away) telling me she only had first gear, and rather than call AAA, she wanted me to come get her.

Mind you, the reason I was at home was because our Tempo had a badly-leaking rear wheel cylinder I was going to attend to! :blink:

Soooo..... I made sure there was a lot of brake fluid in the reservoir and put the bottle of fluid in the trunk and headed into town to see what was up. After messing with the shifter and finding that I had at least firts gear in 1, D and OD, I proposed we try to get the car over to her parents' house, where I could look at it a bit more liesurely than I could at Long John Silver's.

Once moving, and once I reached the 1-2 shift point, the engine revved to a bit over 4,000, so I let off the accelerator, and as the reves dropped I felt it shft into second. After that, it shifted fine. Since the CHECK ENGINE light was on and the transmission light was flashing at me, I headed to the nearest Autozone and had them hook up the OBDII reader.

I got a P0755 (?) Shifter Solenoid reading.

I just took a look at the "How I Repaired My AX4N Tranny" article, so I have an idea of what I need to do, but there are a couple of things that aren't clear yet.

1) Can I remove the shifter solenoid without removing the valve body?
2) How do I know which solenoid is the bad one?
3) Is it ABSOLUTELY essential that remove I the mount and jack the engine up a couple of inches to take the side pan off? Those fasteners seem pretty well fused together.

I look forward to your answers. In the meantime, I've replaced the leaky rear wheel cylinder on the Tempo so you needn't worry that I might go careening off a tight turn and into a field of startled Angus cattle. :D

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The code is for shift solenoid "B".

Have you been having any shift problems????

How is the fluid level & condition????

When last was the tranny fluid & filter changed & how did things look in there deposit wise????

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code is for shift solenoid "B".

Have you been having any shift problems????

How is the fluid level & condition????

When last was the tranny fluid & filter changed & how did things look in there deposit wise????
[/b]
Answers to your questions, in order:

I thought it might be "B". I just was not 100% sure about the code. I was loking over the lady's shoulder as she read it.

Sometimes the shifting has seemed a bit slushy, but nothing alarming. When it lost the 1-2 shift, it did it with no warning.

I changed the main seal on the transmission back in the summer. I drained the torque convertor and of course the transmission. This means, of course, the fluid is new, looks good, and I haven't enough fluid to talk about since summer. When I drained the fluid it didn't look bad, and there was only a little bit of magnetic "fur" on the magnet in the pan.

The car will soon have 200,000 miles on it. It's for sale, so of course things are breaking! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The reason I was wondering about the fluids condition & the deposits in the tranny, especially gum, varnish, or sludge, was that it doesn't take much to mess with a shift solenoid, valve, ect & cause shift problems.

I have always changed my tranny fluid at or before Fords severe service call out, & the tanny is squeeky clean inside & the fluid has always looked, smelled & felt ok, but on occasion I have had up, or down hang shifts on my AXODE tranny, that apparently are caused by deposits, as they always clear up with half a can of Seafoam Trans Tune added to fully warmed up tranny fluid & driving it until it stops acting out, then doing a filter change & full fluid pump out.

Has the tansmission filter ever been changed????
If your tranny filter has never been changed, it may be cloged & restricting fluid flow & pressure problems that are causing your mushy shifting, or maybe you have a little gum, varnish, or sludge hanging the shift solenoid up, so maybe consider a dose of Seafoam Trans Tune & see if it'll respond favorably.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rason I was wondering about the fluids condition & the deposits in the tranny, especially gum, varnish, or sludge, was that it doesn't take much to mess with a shift solenoid, valve, ect & cause shift problems.

I have always chaned my tranny fluid at or before Fords severe service call out, & the tanny is squeeky clean inside & the fluid has always looked, smelled & felt ok, but on occasion I have had up, or down hang shifts on my AXODE tranny, that apparently are caused by deposits, as they always clear up with half a can of Seafoam Trans Tune added to fully warmed up tranny fluid & driving it until it stops acting out, then doing a filter change & full fluid pump out.

Has the tansmission filter ever been changed????
If your tranny filter has never been changed, it may be cloged & restricting fluid flow & pressure problems that ar causing your mushy shifting, or maybe you have a little gum, varnish, or sludge hanging the shift solenoid up, so maybe consider a dose of Seafoam Trans Tune & see if it'll respond favorably.
[/b]
I hadn't thought about the possibility that the solenoid might simply be sticking. I guess the AX4N is as persnickety about tiny bits of crud as the old FMX Cruise-o-Matic?

I've changed the filter twice in the last two years, so that's not a problem. I had to replace the engine two years ago, and I did a fluid/filter change then, and then last summer I had to replace the torque convertor seal - which had blown because I inadvertently overfilled the tranny - so I did a fluid/filter change then.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well the 94 Taurus AXODE tranny began to really act out again Monday afteroon, with hanging up 2-1 down shifts, so I again added 1/2 can (8oz) of Seafoam Trans Tune to the warmed up tranny fluid (don't over fill) & drove it about 15 miles, city/highway mix.

The wife has driven it twice since & it seems to have stopped acting out, as it hasn't hung up on the 2-1 down shift. Not sure I'm gonna pronounce it cured just yet, but it sure seems to be better, as the last time I drove it Monday, before adding the Trans Tune, it hung up twice on me, once as I was doing a slow speed rolling right turn to blend into traffic & realized the danged thing hadn't down shifted, so I had no GO power & the guy coming up on my rear, had to brake hard to prevent rear ending me.

Thats when I decided to drop by my local Bumper-To-Bumper autoparts store & perloin another pint of Trans Tune, for $5.49, or I could have dropped $8.79 at NAPA, or $9.99 at AutoZone, so I opted for the cheap stuff!!!! lol

Yup there is that much difference here in cost on the same product!!!! It pays to shop around!!!!

Anyway, maybe your shift solenoid "B" is hanging up from some deposits, as you were able to persuade it to finally work, so you know it isn't open circuit electrically, or otherwise failed outright.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It can't hurt to try, I suppose. :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the Sea Foam didn't help. Drat! :angry:

Now I just need to figure out how to tell which solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
QUOTE (Grover @ Mar 1 2009, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704230

Now I just need to figure out how to tell which solenoid is bad.[/b]
Dang, too bad the Seafoam TransTune didn't work for you, I guess the problem isn't deposit related, or maybe if it is, you just need more fully warmed up operation time for the TrnsTune to get after the deposits.

Well the P0755 code you posted, said that the computer was unhappy with Shift Solenoid "B", but danged if i know where on/in the tranny it is, or if it can be accessed & changed from the outside, so I suppose we need a tranny guru to answer up!!!!

When you find out, be sure to check it's electrical connections & wiring.

Will be interesting to hear what you find the root cause to be, so keep us posted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Mar 1 2009, 02:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704239
QUOTE (Grover @ Mar 1 2009, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704230

Now I just need to figure out how to tell which solenoid is bad.[/b]
Dang, too bad the Seafoam TransTune didn't work for you, I guess the problem isn't deposit related, or maybe if it is, you just need more fully warmed up operation time for the TrnsTune to get after the deposits.

Well the P0755 code you posted, said that the computer was unhappy with Shift Solenoid "B", but danged if i know where on/in the tranny it is, or if it can be accessed & changed from the outside, so I suppose we need a tranny guru to answer up!!!!

When you find out, be sure to check it's electrical connections & wiring.

Will be interesting to hear what you find the root cause to be, so keep us posted.
[/b][/quote]

you need to remove the side pan to access it. but your problems could be worse then that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts