Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash on my 1997 GL is separating. Is there anything I can do? It is especially starting to get worse towards the center vents.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
kirk sais that windshield adhesive works well, i wouls use some sort of epoxy then clamp the dash back down untill the epoxy dries.

Brad

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Brad, what kind of epoxy would u recommend? or is recommended?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow - I was searching on this issue myself. Mine started last summer and has gotten progressively worse. Is there a particular epoxy that works best?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
the epoxy that works best is the window sealer used to install front windshields. It is good because it remains flexable, but is very strong, and heat resistand.

Im sure there are comperable items that can be used. I just know this one works well.

Brad

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Mine is separating right above the instrument cluster. Should I use the same stuff? What if I need to take the cluster out again???

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
this will not affect thaking the cluster out....just lift the vinal top up, spit some stuff in there and clamp it back down.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Brad is absolutly right. Mine was doing this and I used windshield glue. Right above the instrument cluster. It does not affect removing the cluster. It glues to a plastic mold of the dash underneath. Good luck and let us know the product you used; other members with this problem will find it helpful.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Search the archives... I posted a solution to this last summer. I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (available at any parts store) and it's still holding firm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, 3M Gorilla Snot (Trim adhesive) is the stuff to use, then clamp or use masking tape to hold it down till it sets

·
Registered
511 Posts
my cars plastic on top of the dash is cracking and splitting in 2 places...anything i can do about that?

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Mar 27 2005, 01:44 PM
Many G3's have this problem of the separating dash.. But I've never had that problem.

I guess it's excessive heat that causes the problem, right?
I would agree that it is most likely heat. Dries the glue and softens the vinyl. I also have this problem, but am waiting until I do a bezel/gauges mod or have more then 5 mintues to myself...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The dash in my moms car is really bad and the one in mine is starting to seperate too. I'll try the weather strip adhesive. I'll use sand bags to hold it down like i've seen in another thread.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Well, I used the Gorilla Glue today, and it seems to have worked well. But...I used a couple C-clamps and some squeeze clamps, with thick paper between the dash and the clamp, and it left a ton of marks. I'm hoping the marks will go away with time...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I just held the dash down with my hands for a couple minutes. That was almost two years ago, and no seperation since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts