Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Separating Dash

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  cincyses 
#1 ·
My dash on my 1997 GL is separating. Is there anything I can do? It is especially starting to get worse towards the center vents.

#3 ·
Brad, what kind of epoxy would u recommend? or is recommended?

Thanks
Adam

#8 ·
Brad is absolutly right. Mine was doing this and I used windshield glue. Right above the instrument cluster. It does not affect removing the cluster. It glues to a plastic mold of the dash underneath. Good luck and let us know the product you used; other members with this problem will find it helpful.

-Kyle

#10 ·
Search the archives... I posted a solution to this last summer. I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (available at any parts store) and it's still holding firm.

#16 ·
my cars plastic on top of the dash is cracking and splitting in 2 places...anything i can do about that?

#17 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Mar 27 2005, 01:44 PM
Many G3's have this problem of the separating dash.. But I've never had that problem.

I guess it's excessive heat that causes the problem, right?
I would agree that it is most likely heat. Dries the glue and softens the vinyl. I also have this problem, but am waiting until I do a bezel/gauges mod or have more then 5 mintues to myself...

#18 ·
The dash in my moms car is really bad and the one in mine is starting to seperate too. I'll try the weather strip adhesive. I'll use sand bags to hold it down like i've seen in another thread.

#20 ·
I just held the dash down with my hands for a couple minutes. That was almost two years ago, and no seperation since.

#22 ·
Gorilla Snot is mechanic-speak for the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (the yellow stuff), not Gorilla Glue. They call it Gorilla Snot because it looks like snot (esp when you try to wipe it off your fingers!) and it is sticky as heck. The 3M stuff is essentially a very viscous and tough contact cement, so it sets much faster than Gorilla Glue.

#23 ·
I need help with this. My interior is in perfect shape except for this.

Attachments

#25 ·
How do i go about replacing it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.