Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting rid of the '86 sable. interior clean lot of good parts. i just figured id see if anyone wants/needs parts before i make a decision. tranny seems like its shot, doesnt move i changed the neutral switch, no luck. i touched the IAC wire and the car cut off, now when i start it, it doesnt stay on. lost patience with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thinking of getting rid of the '86 sable. interior clean lot of good parts. i just figured id see if anyone wants/needs parts before i make a decision. tranny seems like its shot, doesnt move i changed the neutral switch, no luck. i touched the IAC wire and the car cut off, now when i start it, it doesnt stay on. lost patience with it.

Both are good options. Part out will get you more money but will take longer.

Another good option would be to see if you could put in a used tranny if the car has little rust and if you want to keep it. you could even find a junkyard or local transmission shop to put it in for ya if you dont want to put it in yourself. Also if you have sentimental value too with the car you could even consider getting a rebuild done.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true but it just seems that everytime i fill one hole, i dig another with this car. to drop the tranny on these models, anyone have a step by step?

·
Registered
211 Posts
true but it just seems that everytime i fill one hole, i dig another with this car. to drop the tranny on these models, anyone have a step by step?

I Getcha man. Its up to you in the end. All three are good options, though if you get rid of the bull ya gotta buy a new bull :) . Anyways just go through a price list of a newer bull and the price and condition of your current bull.

like, hows the rust? the interior? the radiator? the water pump? oil pump? gas tank ? body? paint? etc and most of all your want for the car.

You've had the bull for a long time so don't worry about it if ya want to move to a new car. if ya send it out to pasture the scrapyard would be the easiest option. if ya want to really hold onto the bull then i would probably do a rebuild on the transmission.

i think member mtnGoat sp? did a great transmission article with full pictures!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You could donate it, for a tax write off. The deduction is probably worth more than the car would be parting out, or sending to scrap. Does it still move under it's own power? Some charities will even tow it away for you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could donate it, for a tax write off. The deduction is probably worth more than the car would be parting out, or sending to scrap. Does it still move under it's own power? Some charities will even tow it away for you.
Thats a good idea though it would be only a great idea based on his taxes and if he already gets a refund etc.

anyways all four options are good choices. I think it is down to you and what you want to do with your car that best fits your needs and wants.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies everyone, i donated a car last week and got a 500 buck write off, i dont believe i would be able to combine it, it seems the wiring harness is very stiff like its rotted, thats why the car wont stay on now, cause the IAC isnt getting juice to read and send the signal, is there anywhere i can get a main harness? that would give me a couple more years? this car was my dads first car, he had bought it new from the factory.

·
Registered
211 Posts
thanks for all the replies everyone, i donated a car last week and got a 500 buck write off, i dont believe i would be able to combine it, it seems the wiring harness is very stiff like its rotted, thats why the car wont stay on now, cause the IAC isnt getting juice to read and send the signal, is there anywhere i can get a main harness? that would give me a couple more years? this car was my dads first car, he had bought it new from the factory.
Thats a sweet story behind the car man. Advance Auto Parts salvage yard, a local salvage yard, rockauto, and maybe some other places online would probably have the part. Though if you are serious abuot the car and not wanting the wires to fail again then i would check a local ford dealer. They could get you the part new. Though compare prices first. if a salvage yard has the wires old but in decent condition for a lot cheaper price then i would concider that too.

Whats the mileage on the car and the shape of the car? Thats awesome that you still have it in your family. I hope a new main harness keeps your bull on the road for many more years.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
110,000 original miles, the interior is mint, the floorpans have no rust, just the body has rust spots here and there from over the years. yeah i dunno bout getting the wire harness yet, but i will shop around.I would like to keep the car, but the money to repair is what holds me back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts