Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my SEL in soon to get some body work done along with the alloy wheels curb rash fixed at a body shop and I'm wondering if this is possible.

I'm not interested in the PI grille or the overlay (which I did like, but ultimately took off due to wanting the full SHO grille)

I'll link some pictures to show what I am concerned about, but it seems the SEL has some plastic fins instead of the honeycomb lower grille on the Limited.

When I looked at purchasing a SHO grille it only shows the upper insert.

Doable? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Absolutely! The grill itself is expensive brand new, so check out car-part.com or ebay and you might be able to find one used for a little cheaper in great condition. As for the other part of the grill, it's called a "Lower Insert" for the front bumper. Check Tasca or FordPartsGiant for a diagram with all the part numbers for the front bumper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely! The grill itself is expensive brand new, so check out car-part.com or ebay and you might be able to find one used for a little cheaper in great condition. As for the other part of the grill, it's called a "Lower Insert" for the front bumper. Check Tasca or FordPartsGiant for a diagram with all the part numbers for the front bumper.
Alright, I've decided I cannot get over the stock look of the front end / upper & lower grille and decided not to buy a SHO and opt for a coyote Mustang as a 2nd car and have my Taurus be my daily driver, but man the stock front end on the base trims (even the Limited trim) leave a lot to be desired when comparing with other grilles. The overlay/insert just doesn't flow, but i'm not knocking it for the price.

Thanks for all the info, you really know how to navigate the Taurus / best deals for aftermarket/OEM parts.

I'd be lost and probably pay full price to some body shop or a stealership if not for you and this forum. Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, Even though it is expensive, let me tell you it was totally worth it. Definitely a totally different look the car takes on. In my case, I only bought the upper part, I didn't think I needed to spend the money on the lower part when it is just going to be mostly covered by the license plate. So if you ever question buying it again, I would totally recommend!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, Even though it is expensive, let me tell you it was totally worth it. Definitely a totally different look the car takes on. In my case, I only bought the upper part, I didn't think I needed to spend the money on the lower part when it is just going to be mostly covered by the license plate. So if you ever question buying it again, I would totally recommend!
Yours is exactly how I want my '17 Limited of the same color. I have always wanted those particular rims too. However, I simply couldn't justify paying 3 times more for the SHO grille and I just purchased a PI grille from Amazon.
Super nice looking ride!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a PI grill on my 14 Limited. I think it looks so much better compared to the silver painted stock one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 SEL & I really want to swap out the upper grille to the SHO... everything online says the SHO upper grille will not fit even though obviously it does since you've had it done on your car.. I asked the body shop at my dealership about it as well and they said they'd have to take off the whole front bumper assembly (but I think they thought I meant I wanted both the upper and lower parts).. how did you go about this? did you do it yourself? take to an independent body shop? Please advise, any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2016 SEL & I really want to swap out the upper grille to the SHO... everything online says the SHO upper grille will not fit even though obviously it does since you've had it done on your car.. I asked the body shop at my dealership about it as well and they said they'd have to take off the whole front bumper assembly (but I think they thought I meant I wanted both the upper and lower parts).. how did you go about this? did you do it yourself? take to an independent body shop? Please advise, any info is appreciated!
You do have to take the whole front clip(bumper assembly) off the car to change the grill. I put an interceptor grill on mine. Should have went with the SHO one since it has chrome on the outer ring, but the interceptor one doesn't look to bad though so I'm good with it. It's not a hard job to do and once you learn to remove the front clip, it can be done in just a few minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts