Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing some brake lines on my 91 sho. Specifically the rear one from the proportioning valve to the passenger side caliper. Both ends are seized up good and the caliper end is pretty rusted from about the caliper all the way to the middle of the car. I could splice the line from the best part after the proportioning valve and get a new flex line but I would like to avoid that.

Any tricks or ideas to get this apart.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Apr 13 2004, 04:58 PM
PB Blaster, and some patience. I hate when the nuts rot themselves to the tubing.
What! I have no patience. I can't wait for that stuff to work.
I hate brakes.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Why do you think they rhyme with breaks?

·
Registered
712 Posts
When brake lines are stubborn, but whatever they are attached to is most important (i.e. mastercylinder, prop valve, etc.), I usually just sacrifice the brake line. They are relatively cheap. And if the fitting is rusted so tight that you can't easily remove it with a line wrench, the brake lines themselves are likely to be rusted and need replacing anyhow. You'll probably end up twisting the line when you finally break the fitting loose anyhow.

If you screw around too much with brake line wrenches, and round it off, you will just be making more headaches for yourself. By cutting the line, you can put a six-point socket on it. This maximizes your chances of getting that fitting out, without having to resort to anything extreme.

The pre-bent brake lines are worth the extra money to me (if the line is long with complex bends).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢@Apr 13 2004, 09:48 PM
By cutting the line, you can put a six-point socket on it. This maximizes your chances of getting that fitting out, without having to resort to anything extreme.
There is some thinking! I never thought of that. Thank you I will try that tommorrow.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Patrick Norris+Apr 13 2004, 10:19 PM-->QUOTE (Patrick Norris @ Apr 13 2004, 10:19 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-eCarâ„¢
@Apr 13 2004, 09:48 PM
By cutting the line, you can put a six-point socket on it. This maximizes your chances of getting that fitting out, without having to resort to anything extreme.
There is some thinking! I never thought of that. Thank you I will try that tommorrow. [/b]
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip. It saved me replacing the entire flex line and possibly breaking the proportioning valve.

Also some spray and patience did help.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris+Apr 14 2004, 07:09 PM-->QUOTE (Patrick Norris @ Apr 14 2004, 07:09 PM)
Originally posted by Patrick [email protected] 13 2004, 10:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-eCarâ„¢
@Apr 13 2004, 09:48 PM

There is some thinking! I never thought of that. Thank you I will try that tommorrow.
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip. It saved me replacing the entire flex line and possibly breaking the proportioning valve.

Also some spray and patience did help. [/b]
np

Glad it worked for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts