Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Originally posted by Rubix@Sep 22 2004, 07:44 PM
heh, tell that to the 83 year old woman here in richmond taht hit gas instead of brake at the grocery store and pinned a 75 year old man between the side of the store and her car resulting in his death :( . happened a few weeks ago, i feel sorry for the guy, and its another example of why old people shouldnt drive... though i know when im 83 (if i make it there) ill demand to be driving still too haha
I remember that, drive by where it happened on my daily drive.

Sorry to hear of all your wrecks, I happened to smash a quater panel.

Glad to hear it's getting fixed Bill, the car's too clean to let go. Coincidentally, now's a good time to have those SFC's welded on as well.

Originally posted by SableOHC+Oct 13 2004, 06:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SableOHC @ Oct 13 2004, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DeltarMN@Oct 13 2004, 01:34 PM
Good to hear that things are looking to be back on track.  I was starting to wonder were you went off too.  :D

Hey Mike :D Actually, until the wreck two weeks ago I was doing anime things. I built a cosplay prop for a friends costume at Nan Desu Kon 2004.

You do know that Sal is selling his front bumper cover and hood from his sable, right?
Thanks! I thought of that, but by the time it's shipped to Denver, it's more expensive than the shop can get a new one :( [/b][/quote]
Hey in your chaos. I woulda GAVE the hood and front bumper to you. NO CHARGE, Just pay for the shipping. But I guess it might be too late now...

Sal

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Sal,
Wow,thanks! But you're right, they're already ordering parts and I need both the front and back.

Mike,
My friend Tanwen decided to go as Piroko from Megatokyo. I'm a huge fan and agreed to build her a Sony Chibi Killstick. Strangely, I don't have any pictures yet, since I literally finished it in time to heave it in the car and drive it over to the con. She's going to send me a bunch of pictures taken at the con, but I haven't got them yet :(

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and wanted to express my relief that you're alright and that the car will be alright.

However, you should have picked up an AAS front clip, some SHO headlights, and a CincySHO Cowl hood! That would have looked wicked awesome.

JR

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 14 2004, 07:01 AM
I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and wanted to express my relief that you're alright and that the car will be alright.

However, you should have picked up an AAS front clip, some SHO headlights, and a CincySHO Cowl hood! That would have looked wicked awesome.

JR
Actually, I prefer the gen3 Sable front end, to the Taurus/SHO look. The more elongated headlight/parking light combination is sleeker and the chrome trim around the oval air intake is more finished looking.

Glad to hear it's getting fixed Bill, the car's too clean to let go. Coincidentally, now's a good time to have those SFC's welded on as well.
I'm going to check with the exhaust shop, while I have them under there welding things :D

OOO, I can not wait for some pics! I am so excited. You will have to post them once you get them.
I'll put them over in the completely off Taurus topic forum ;)

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Here's an update: I picked up Seishun from the body shop last week. That was a disapointment. One: they didn't restore any of the pinstriping that was damaged. It turns out that when their striping subcontractor came by and looked at what he had to replicate, he demurred. They didn't charge me for it, but I still have to find someone else to restripe it. Two: there was worse, neither the front nor rear fascias line up properly, the front paint match is poor, there are swirlies on the rear, and they didn't mask the molding properly. On top of that, the inside of the car was dirty.

I'm pretty steamed, since this is an expensive shop with a great reputation. I used them on my last repair and they were great. Since I was set up for the exhaust work, I went ahead and picked the car up with they promise that they would make things right later. I'll be less mad if they fix things, but am still annoyed that they even expected me to take it that way.

Anyway, I just picked it up from the exhaust shop. I think they did a great job. It's a complete custom catback with Magnaflow parts in stainless and aluminized steel. I'll try to get some photographs this weekend, before I send it back to the body shop.

While they were at it, I had them weld on the Anonda MS SFCs that I bought from President Bob. I haven't had the car up in the air yet, but laying on the ground and looking from the side, it looks like they did a good job. If it doesn't snow again, I hope to change on the winter wheels this weekend, so can get some photographs of everything then.

ps I know I still owe people some other posts on various topics, but this car incident is one of many points of recent chaos :grin2:

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Hello Everyone!

It has certainly taken a long time to get this car back together. I browbeat the bodyshop into fixing most of the problems. It looks pretty good now, except the color match between the hood and the front fascia is not perfect. However, they wouldn't budge on that point. They said it would only be a perfect match if they also repainted the hood, which they would not do for free. Anyway, I'm through with them. Colorado members: don't use Colorado Coach in Boulder.

I just got back from the pinstriper. All my lovely decoration is restored. Here's the front and and the driver side sailplane:

Attachments

The paint mis-match doesn't take anything away from the looks of the car. Your car is one of the nicest Sables here.

Good going!

Yeah, finding a shop that can properly match paint is tough, especially if your color is metallic.

Glad to see its fixed up, and now its at least paid off, right?

Hope to see it at ROTB. B)

The pinstriping looks great! Pardon my ignorance if you mentioned it elsewhere, but did you find the original guy that did it, or did someone else repair it? If it was someone else, they did an excellent job of carrying through the design! Not an easy thing to do...

Also, on the mismatch, it'll probably blend in after a while. When Anonda's car got out of the body shop this past August, the rear bumper didn't look like it matched all that well, but you can't tell the difference now.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Originally posted by jtkz13@Dec 12 2004, 04:34 AM
Yeah, finding a shop that can properly match paint is tough, especially if your color is metallic.

Glad to see its fixed up, and now its at least paid off, right?

Hope to see it at ROTB.  B)
I bought it with cash, so in that sense it has been paid off since day one. In the sense that cars are a constant source of surprises in my life, it will never be paid off :grin2:

The pinstriping looks great! Pardon my ignorance if you mentioned it elsewhere, but did you find the original guy that did it, or did someone else repair it? If it was someone else, they did an excellent job of carrying through the design! Not an easy thing to do...
This is the fourth time that car has been pinstriped. When I bought it in 1998, it was already pinstriped. Fairly odd to find a family sedan sort of car with custom striping. Strangely, it also came with oversize tires, but not in terms of treadwidth, but in terms of sidewall height! Imagine our cars poised even higher than their usual stance :rolleyes:

In Dec 2000 it was hit the first time. It got a new trunk lid and rear fascia that time, so the trunk lid had to be striped. The bodyshop threw away the old lid before the striper could see it, so it got a completely new design in the back. That shop did not do good work, they got the trunk lid to close properly, but the interior plastic shell didn't line up. So, I didn't want to go back to them.

The second incident was my fault. I turned too sharply in my own driveway and forgot about a conduit box that sticks out from the side of the house (it was night.) That scraped a line down my driver front fender. I had it fixed at the same shop I used for the most recent incident. That time they did a good job, and their striping subcontractor matched the design well with the other fender.

For this September's event, I went back to the same shop, with the results described above. Their current striper refused to take the job, so I had to hunt down an independent guy. Fortunately, I work with a street rod officianado, who had some business cards he collected from car shows. I called the one that seemed to do work most like mine, and he worked out well. It cost me $100 for 2 hours work fixing the nose, sailplane, half the stripes down the driver side, plus he touched up all the nicks.

It was interesting to watch the process, it took 1.5 hours to match and mix the paint, then only half an hour to apply it. The colors aren't "out of the can" and they have 9 years of fade.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.