Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it all, while coming to a stop this morning the woman behind me confused "brake" with "accelerate" and drove her PT Cruiser into the back fo my Sable, shoving me into the Jeep in front of me. No one was hurt. The confused woman was ticketed and has insurance. I'll be taking Seishun to the insurance adjuster on Friday.

The front and rear fascias are destroyed, the trunk lid is bent and the driver side exhaust is bent. I have no doubt it can be repaired, but I bet it's close whether the insurance calls it a total or not. We'll see.

This is the second time some woman has rear ended my Sable. The ladies just can't resist my backside.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Damn that sucks, Good luck with the insurance agent. Hope everything works out in your best favor.

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear it Bill. :( Glad to hear nobody was hurt though. I hope everything works out well for you. :)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
that really bites. if its totalled, make sure u grab ur suspension mods off of it. and all ur other goodies. if u want it to be fixed, show them recipts of off the stuff u added onto it. it will bring the value up

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, All :D If it's going to be totalled, I'll definitely scavenge all the suspension bits, but hopefully (like the 6 Million Dollar Man) we'll rebuild it again :D

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SableOHC@Sep 21 2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks, All :D If it's going to be totalled, I'l definitely scavenge all the suspension bits, but hopefully (like the 6 Million Dollar Man) we'll rebuild it again :D
Buy it back for cheap, and put it on a trailer to my place. With the leftover insurance money, buy a plane ticket and come out here. We'll fix it, and improve it all at the same time. :)

Seriously though, best of luck Bill, and I'm glad nobody was hurt. A new Sable we can get, a new Bill we can't. :thumb:

Let me know if I can be of any help.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I know your pain (kind of ). I was hit last Thursday. The lady got out and started talking about people stopping short and not paying attention and I was like you're the one that wasn't paying attention.

Oh well. Sure the car is only 7 months old but I took it to a body shop and he's going to paint the rocker panels when he does the repair. I'll post pics when I get it done.

If you decide to sell off any parts, I would like to make a deal with you. I had no idea you had so many mods.

-Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by Rubix@Sep 22 2004, 01:35 PM
very sorry to hear about your misfortune, getting rear ended is NEVER good.
Amen to that, just ask any prison inmate. :p Anyways though, glad to hear your all right, hopefully they wont total it. Good luck with the insurance company. :D

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by SableOHC@Sep 21 2004, 06:17 PM
while coming to a stop this morning the woman behind me confused "brake" with "accelerate" and drove her PT Cruiser into the back fo my Sable, shoving me into the Jeep in front of me.
ouch man that really sucks
....anyone else wondering why this person is allowed to drive
man if i were you i would of smacked her in the side of the head for being so stupid....like if driving stick shift wasnt easy enough she cant figure out which pedal does what on an automatic
why im surprised she even got it out of park

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
heh, tell that to the 83 year old woman here in richmond taht hit gas instead of brake at the grocery store and pinned a 75 year old man between the side of the store and her car resulting in his death :( . happened a few weeks ago, i feel sorry for the guy, and its another example of why old people shouldnt drive... though i know when im 83 (if i make it there) ill demand to be driving still too haha

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got back from the adjuster and the body shop. We're putting it back together :chili: :chili:

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's an update one my case of the recent rash of Taurus devastation. The body shop found more damage underneath the rear fascia. Consequently, the insurance company has totalled the car. FYI they valued a 96 Sable LS with every possible option at $3800.

I bought it back from them for $400, so I get the car and $3400. I've been down to the shop to see what state it's in. They've already done the frame straightening and pronounced that a success. The remainder of the major work is repairing the double wall body on the rear driver side and welding in a replacement piece that makes up the back of the trunk area.

There are no used Sable front/rear fascia to be found in Colorado at the moment, so we're going with brand new pieces. It's not as much more as I would have thought: about another $150. All in all, the bodywork is going to run about $3750, putting me out of pocket for $350, which is annoying.

The exhaust was also all bent up. Since this is now coming out of my pocket, I'm not having the body shop do that work. They'd just subcontract it to a muffler shop anyway. Instead I'm going to advance the exhaust upgrade and have that done now at a shop I already had chosen. No estimate yet. I don't count this as out of pocket expense, since I was going to do it anyway, although it was not the next item on my list :D

Naturally, I'll post pictures after the exhaust work.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Oct 13 2004, 01:34 PM
Good to hear that things are looking to be back on track.  I was starting to wonder were you went off too.  :D

Hey Mike :D Actually, until the wreck two weeks ago I was doing anime things. I built a cosplay prop for a friends costume at Nan Desu Kon 2004.

You do know that Sal is selling his front bumper cover and hood from his sable, right?
Thanks! I thought of that, but by the time it's shipped to Denver, it's more expensive than the shop can get a new one :(

J

·
0 Posts
Nice to hear that the repairs are under way. Hope everything turns out good for you. :)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
SHO-ABLE

SHO-ABLE

oh, and a cincy sho g3 fiberglass cowl hood.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a feeling they'd wind up totalling it out...as good of a car as a Taurus/Sable is, they lose their value with stunning quickness.

This is good if you're looking to pick up a fine American sedan with low miles and of a recent year, but bad if you just bought one new, like me, and will have it drop from a Blue Book Value of $24,300 to $12,000 come January.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still fixing it, one thing the insurance company doesn't factor in is sentimental value...if I hadn't had to give it up when I moved out and severed all ties with my mother (long story) I'd still be rolling a '98 Taurus SE Vulcan...sigh.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts