Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased car last week. During the past weekend, I replaced intake gaskets, plugs and wires. During the repair. I had the negative battery terminal disconnected. Went to start car this morning and no start. I then noticed that the security light was flashing rapidly. Turned ignition off, then back on and it started. The same thing happened to me after work.
The key I have is an aftermarket. The previous owner must have lost original set.
Any suggestions of what the problem may be?
I don't think having the negative terminal disconnected for a day would cause any issues - would it? The key I have states that there is a battery inside. I haven't yet pulled that apart.
I think I might be wise to get a spare key made up then get it programmed. I should have an extra anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Get another key made and programed. If it's an aftermarket key and there's a battery inside, try replacing the battery and see if that's the issue, may be a weak signal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get another key made and programed. If it's an aftermarket key and there's a battery inside, try replacing the battery and see if that's the issue, may be a weak signal.
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I also have a non-working key FOB. I replaced the battery but no luck. I think I read that these can be programmed by turning the ignition 8x - can anyone verify if this is the proper procedure?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts