Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car usually starts okay but yesterday when I turned the key- absolutely nothing, no sound, no grinding, zippo. Second try it started okay. I was driving around stopped for over an hour when I restarted- that's when it happened. I put a rebuilt starter in a little over a year ago but not sure it is that, solenoid, fuel pump, or something else. Auto Zone type shops test starters- is that the best option? Something else? I don't want to be miles from home and then can't start the car- given all the current problems in the world.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
When it doesnt do anything when turning the key to START have a helper turn the key to START and hold it there.and give the starter a good wack or 2 with a hammer. Of it cranks / starts, the starter is bad.

Unlikely that a bench test of the starter will pick up and intermittent issue.

Many reman parts these days, especially those from the discount parts stores, are total junk. Spend the $$ on quality brand new parts. For quality new starters look at NAPA, Motorcraft, AC Delco Professional Series.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When it doesnt do anything when turning the key to START have a helper turn the key to START and hold it there.and give the starter a good wack or 2 with a hammer. Of it cranks / starts, the starter is bad.

Unlikely that a bench test of the starter will pick up and intermittent issue.

Many reman parts these days, especially those from the discount parts stores, are total junk. Spend the $$ on quality brand new parts. For quality new starters look at NAPA, Motorcraft, AC Delco Professional Series.
Car usually starts okay but yesterday when I turned the key- absolutely nothing, no sound, no grinding, zippo. Second try it started okay. I was driving around stopped for over an hour when I restarted- that's when it happened. I put a rebuilt starter in a little over a year ago but not sure it is that, solenoid, fuel pump, or something else. Auto Zone type shops test starters- is that the best option? Something else? I don't want to be miles from home and then can't start the car- given all the current problems in the world.
Thanks
Thanks
Here you Go:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts